Monday, January 3, 2011

UCG Minister Chris Moen Resignation Letter





MY LETTER TO OUR BRETHREN      JAN. 2nd, 2011.

Dear Brethren of Mansfield and Canton congregations, 

In October, 2010 I began researching both sides of the arguments regarding the current crisis of the United Church of God leadership. On December 4th, 2010 I was one of 57 elders who signed an appeal letter to the President, Mr. Luker, in hopes to preserve our UCG church organization intact without a separation.
The appeal letter stated this position: “We have supported the governmental system agreed upon in 1995 and this letter is a confirmation of working within that system. Our deepest hope is the complete healing and the effective continuation of the UCG.”

The appeal letter stated this goal: “The workable—and what we believe is biblical—pathway to proper functioning as a church… is an open…face-to-face meeting between current and past leaders of the organization for the purpose of identifying and removing the obstructions that impede the function of the United Church of God.”
By December 13th, it appeared that an impasse in efforts to find reconciliation among our leadership had occurred, and that a separation was inevitable. The resulting separation we are seeing is an issue of not being able to walk together since there is no agreement. (Amos 3:3).

This period of time will be extremely difficult for our brethren, as they try to figure out what has just happened in our beloved organization. In my church announcements yesterday I expressed that at this point in the crisis in UCG, every member will be personally affected regardless of whether I--your pastor--stay or depart.
As of today, with deep love and affection for all of you, I’m sharing my personal thoughts with you. I will be resigning from United Church of God effective today.

My reasons are reasons of conscience. Some brethren may be very upset with Angela and me for resigning from UCG, but in the long run let’s all hope there is a higher purpose that God will fulfill for the good of the Church of God and for all of us. Mr. Denny Luker said in his recent sermon to the Winter Family Weekend audience (Dec. 25th) regarding the separation, “if we keep our eyes on Jesus Christ as the head, something good will come out of all this.” And he said, “we are not anyone’s enemies here (in this crisis).” 

Mr. Luker also said, “I don’t blame any of my brothers in Christ; Satan is the author of this (crisis). “I have said to the ministry, if you cannot in good conscience support this present Council of Elders or my presidency, if you feel for some reason that we are so bad or so wrong, that we are incompetent, that we’ve disqualified ourselves, that we’re unrighteous, or whatever, if you cannot support us for whatever reasons may be, then my recommendation would be to do the honorable thing and resign.”


Like many of you, I had been praying daily that no separation would occur, but if a separation would still occur, that God would give me a clear understanding on what to do, and how to still guard the gospel and shepherd the brethren. This has been a daunting task for me, but yesterday I came to a peaceful decision. 

I wish to thank so many of you for your words of encouragement and support these past few months. They’ve been helpful to me as I kept vigil, watching for a “Jordan River” to open before me to show me the path more clearly. The greatest concern in my heart has been in preserving the security of the brethren within Mansfield and Canton, and to reassure the brethren that I will continue to shepherd God’s flock that has been entrusted to my care. I have not changed in any way as the person you have come to know.

Our Mansfield and Canton congregations have brought Angela and me enormous joy. We have seen the growth, and shared in the beautiful peace and fellowship each Sabbath. With you, we have comforted those who have suffered loss and cheered in welcoming the newborn. We have shared blessings in Mansfield and Canton that other congregations only long for.

I don’t want to sway the membership either way, but I do pray and encourage each of you to seek more understanding about the most recent issues on both sides, so as to be able to make careful judgments. This will still take some time, perhaps weeks or months. By growing through this process, I believe you and I are preparing to discern even greater spiritual challenges ahead, and to eventually judge angels. Even with my separation I still believe the “battle” is not the brethren’s at this time, but God’s. For some time, I encouraged our brethren not to take any “sides” or make any “moves” unless and until things become very clear, out in the open, and where fruits can be evaluated. In good and clear conscience, keeping all these things in mind, I felt a need to separate from the organization. Indeed we still pray for our leaders, as Paul sought prayers for the ministry: 


“…brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you…” (2 Thess 3:1)
“Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably.” (Heb 13:18)
I believe, as Mr. Denny Luker also stated in a recent sermon, that we are all still one body of Christ, if we have God’s Holy Spirit. Let’s all hope that in the future we come to focus on the things that we have in common rather than the things that divide us. This should be true for members in any group—United Church of God, the emerging new church organization, or multiple other Church of God groups who share our values.

Brethren, please know that as your pastor, I am not leaving my calling as an ordained minister of Jesus Christ. This calling is understood to be directly from God, and God willing, I will continue to fulfill this calling for many years to come. I will not try to influence or persuade any UCG brethren to change their affiliation. I will not criticize UCG, its leadership or its members. I separate in peace with HUGE gratitude for all that United Church of God has done for Angela and me, and with HUGE gratitude for the way all of you have treated us and welcomed us from the beginning, six years ago. I will continue to be available if any wish to ask me questions about what has brought us to this point, without disparaging any individuals. I am not far removed from any of you. I will ALWAYS be available should you wish to reach me.

I have offered to help with any details to affect a smooth transition for the remaining Mansfield and Canton, OH congregations.

God’s mercy on all of us, and God’s kingdom come!

In Christian love,
Chris & Angela Moen

1 comment:

The Good Tale said...

What is happening to UCG is God's doing and this is why...
When I was twelve I was baptized and had hands placed on me the first time. When I was 19 I was called to the Worldwide church of God which was the Philadelphia era that had the key of David the year was 1979. In 2005 I renewed my vows giving my life to God for his service and was baptized again and had hands placed on me to receive the Holy Spirit by Mr. Denny Luker of the United Church of God the Laodicean church era. This church had the first opportunity to become hot. In their pride they did not choose wisely Matt 25:1-12. Because I refused to be silent of the word of God growing inside me I was told by Mr Luker in 2007 not to return to Church.The United church of God is now being spewed out http://www.cogwriter.com/news/cog-news/ucg-loses-6-pastors-in-ghana-now-a-total-loss-of-173-ministers-and-elders/ because in 2009 I sent all the ministers of UCG a booklet called "Our Fathers Love" proving by the word of God why God had raised me up from these brethren Acts 3:22 to deliver his Gospel to the world as a witness. I now am delivering this word of God to the world from the wilderness Rev 12:6 at http://thegoodtale.wordpress.com and through other websites. It is written: One woman delivers the true word John1:1, Rev 12:5, Rev 12:13 at the heel of time that restores Acts 3:21 all things to the world before Christ’s return. She exposes the lies of Satan who has deceived the whole world Rev 12:9. She creates a new thing in the earth fulfilling God's promise to Eve Gen 3:15, Jer 31:22, Isa 14:16. She is like Moses Acts 3:22, Num 12:3 and she is like Elijah Matt 17:11 her witness alone from the wilderness Rev 12:6 turns the hearts of the fathers to the children Mal 4:5-6 to prepare a people for the coming millennium before the great and dreadful day of the Lord Matt 17:3, Luke 9:30. Moses and Elijah are together with the word Matt 17:3. These three are in this woman. Woe on those who claim to be Christians but refuse to hear Acts 3:23 the true word of God commanded to be written and delivered to the world free of charge, as a witness and a warning Rev 12:12-13, at the heel of time. This true word delivered turns the hearts of the fathers to the children of God by giving the truth that not one child of God will be put in a hell fire no matter what their sins. It never entered the heart or mind of God to do such a thing Jer 7:31, Jer 19:5. God created evil Isa 45:7 to teach his children the knowledge of good and evil Rom 8:7, Gen 3:22 so that at their resurrection they are ready to become a god Matt 22:29-30, Ps 82:6. Prove all things. Be a workman that needeth not to be ashamed. You cannot rightly judge this unless you read all that has been written. By the power of God I am this woman. A true witness delivereth souls... all souls are now delivered Pro 14:25, 1 Pet 2:5, 1 Pet 2:9. Love always, val