Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Only 10% of COG Members Have Higher Education?



Interesting comment today about education in the COG's.

2: A sect is a schism in the conventional religious body. A cult is a completely new faith. Religions offer three things, status and self esteem to members (intangible – appealing to the upper classes), health/wealth (tangible – appealing to lower classes), and spiritual (life after death – appealing to everyone). Upper classes are more able to master new cultures (as what happens with a cult) and are more able to acknowledge deficiencies in current religious orginizations. Sects are usually formed promoting more tangable things, which appeal to lower classes. There is a positive correlation between education and cult activities (such as eastern religions in the US), and a negative correlation between education and sect movements (faith healing, born again). In the US the major denominations have high levels of college education, but Protestent sects are not well educated (10% for Worldwide Church of God) while cult groups are the most educated of any category. Christianity, being a cult movement in the first century, would have the greatest appeal to the higher classes of the roman empire.  The Rise of Christianity

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a time when I was upset, distressed and angry that I was rejected by Ambassador College. I just wasn't what they were loooking for.

I am now ecstatic that the ministry of the Radio Church of God completely blocked me and recommended I not be allowed in.

As a result of that decision, I went to a State College [but is now a University and I have a University degree]. It's great to have gone to an accredited institution of higher learning. It should also be noted that for most of my career, I continued to earn more than most of the Evangelists and I have retirement -- which is something most ministers did not have.

It's good to be rejected. They say living well is the best revenge. I probably would have had severe difficulties with the immoral, unethical and illegal activities and stances of the leadership and been something akin to the Maccabean brothers. And -- oh, come on -- the ministry of Jesus Christ was all about being an activist, wasn't it?

Not that being outside the camp of the ungodly diminishes in any way my militancy when it comes to exposing those who cause division (from the truth -- as in factual statements and data). Let those who have been in positions of power have their useless AC degrees.

For the rest of you who attained their AC degrees and lived in the shadow of their uselessness: I am sincerely so very sorry for your loss. May you find greater prosperity through the end of your days.

Lake of Fire Church of God said...

Like Douglas Becker, I too am an Ambassador College reject!

I was devasted at the time. One of the girls at church told me after I informed her that I was rejected, "I want to go to Ambassador because that is where the best men are". Thanks for the slap in the face.

I went on to receive a BS in Finance from a major state University and a MBA from a well respected private university. I went on to have a successful career for many years. Today, I am thankful to be an Ambassador College reject.

Douglas, I think having a brain disqualified us from an AC education.

Richard

Anonymous said...

Only 10% of COG Members? Oh yeah, not many wise men now are called.

And what % of the cream of the crud COG Ministry have higher education?

From the insufferable blowhards I know in the ministry, not one received "higher education" while attending Embarrassing College.

HWA filled them with utter bullshit for four years, and now they have excrement for brains.