Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dennis On: What Would It Take...




Dennis Diehl - EzineArticles Expert Author...to give up ruminating about one's perception of their WCG experience?  What would it take for me to do so?  How does not doing so serve us? 


I used to tell the Buddhist story of the local tribesmen types who needed water to survive in their harsh environment, but only a little monkey indigenous to the area seemed to know the location of underground.  They had a great trick to find the water for themselves.  Seems the little monkey had one bad habit they could exploit.  They trapped the monkey by digging a hole in a sand hill and putting honey deep inside.. about arms length.  Once the monkey grabbed the honeycomb, it had the bad habit of not being able to let go when the men approached to trap the monkey. The clenched fist held the monkey firmly trapped in the hole until they could tether it.  Of course, all it had to do was let go of the honey and escape, but that never seemed to cross its mind.  Once tethered, they kept the little guy away from water for a few days until very very thirsty.  They kept the tethered monkey on a long leash when released and it went right to the water source the tribe needed to survive.  Tricky.  All based on the inability of the monkey to let go, even when it was to its advantage to do so. 
I'm a lot like that monkey.  Are you?  How does it serve me to hang on to this stuff?  I find less and less reason every day it seems but it is still not easy.  It's almost as if I forget about it, others will "get away" with something including taking advantage of my youthful idealism and caring personality.  Oh yes, and the compliant thing too because I thought it had something to do with God, Jesus and truth that was somehow going to pay off in the world to come and was the right thing to do on this planet.


I used to be a church pastor, as you well know.. I was for a very long time during my most youthful and productive years. No longer a pastor and no longer tied into the story so tightly as I was of the literal truth of the Bible, I still find that "pastor" is still lingering as part of how I define and identify myself. Actually, I find that "I used to be a pastor" is the phrase that still pops up when talking in the present, so I must still identify with the experience for sure. Recently someone told me I was still stuck in my past job description as part of my present identity, and I had to agree. It is less and less each year, but nevertheless, she was right. It's easy to get stuck in who or what one used to be and let it color the present. When it comes right down to it, it matters little what one used to be or do and is not a valid way to define one's present. We all change. Life both provides for and forces change whether we like it or not and it is acceptance of that reality that is more in keeping with a genuine self identity.


But whether as pastor, or a policeman, or an accountant, mom, friend or parent, what we used to be is not who we are. It might have been what we did, or a role that we had in life, but it never was who we are. Try this...without saying anything good or bad about yourself, who are you? Most will slip and say what they do for a living, or some educational credentials or even something negative about how they perceive themselves to be, but that breaks the rules. The implication of that kind of answer is that when one ceases to be the doctor, lawyer or Indian Chief, once ceases to be, which is ridiculous. Ultimately, the only answer there is turns out to be "myself". I am who I am. You know, the Popeye Mantra.


I don't like change, but on this planet, life is nothing but change it seems. We make kids promise at their wedding, upon pain of eternal death and damnation, never to change from this moment forward, yet forget to tell them that outside of them, everything and everyone else will change! Seems a bit unfair to me. Life is entrances and exits, careers chosen and lost, ideas that work and then don't, people who show up and then disappear. Life is change. There is a lot to say for endeavoring to keep things stable, it is just that we often learn that if we want to stay balanced and sane, we often have to give up the idea of being masters of the universe.


So how can we stop identifying with who or what we thought ourselves to be, and bring our personal identity more into the present. The most profoundly right answers to this question are often the most simple to state.


1. Live in the present because NOW is all one really has. The past and future are all states of mind that are neither real nor productive places to rummage around in. The past is the source of our anger and if repressed, our depression and the unknowable future is the source of our anxiety, trying to figure out how things will be, when we can't know. Just stop it. NOW is all we have and every past moment was a NOW we had back then and we remember and every future event is a NOW not yet here. But when it "get's here," it will be another NOW.


2. You are not defined by what you do or who you think you are. When you no longer are or do that, you are still here. You are YOU. The sum total of genetics you had no say in, personality you are hard wired with, and circumstances that you may or may not have some control over. Life is choices. Make the ones you can. Accept with a "nothing is for nothing" attitude those you can't and drink cool water. Just do it.


3. Recognize that true human spirituality and happiness is an inside job. It all comes from within you. True spirituality doesn't need you to be anywhere to support some group endeavor and have your sincerity judged by your attendance. True spirituality doesn't motivate you with fear, guilt, shame and fear. And true spirituality certainly doesn't require ten percent of your income for "God" so he can bless you more than you can possibly imagine, with more stuff.


I guess that's all I have to say about that...

Dennis C. Diehl

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was five years or so ago now that I simply left Armstrongism completely. I was a lot happier and I had a LOT more TIME! I concluded that Armstrongism is a complete waste of time.

Who am I?

I am a Premier Technologist.

That will be with me and has always been with me: Hard wired and competent at it. It has nothing to do with career, really. It is a state of being.

A state of being not at all shared with others in Armstrongism: Few are true technologists and fewer in Armstrongism, because Armstrongism is unscientific and does not follow the rules of the Universe. This makes it nasty and unpleasant for us who are technologists with the Structural Visualization able to process 3 and more dimensions in the brain -- to be associated with those who don't have a clue.

So, if weren't for my Cult Job in Government, I would have been happy, rolling in clover. Unfortunately, except for the name on the door, it isn't possible to tell Management from Armstrongism. Oh, there are slightly different trappings, but it is the same disgusting corrupt thing. A cult is a cult and a cult is an association of 2 or more people one or more of which abuses the others.

I had a request from an old friend and colleague to come back to help diminish Armstrongism. It wasn't actually that fun, but it was productive. Now that I've dispensed with the Work Cult, I can negotiate participating in the attempts to destroy Armstrongism a little bit better in an happier state. I must say, I've learned a lot about Technology -- which really does make me happy.

For most people, leaving this Folie a Deux Armstrongist environment is the best solution. Nevertheless, without having a burning passion for something else as you take back your life will leave you feeling empty and directionless. There will always be those things nagging at you.

It takes time to validate that you did the right thing by leaving. It takes time to recover. It takes time to rebuild.

And then it's over.

When that happens, you can be happy -- maybe for the very first time.

Scary, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Dennis:

I too have often wondered why my curiosity of current events in the UCG lingers even after 15 years. Perhaps because it is where the majority from this church area ended up, as well as the ministers who have inflicted the most harm.

Maybe we all realize that the unfortunate WCG experience of submission to sociopaths and their deception never quite goes away. We left the WCG, but never had any closure. Never an apology, never an admission of wrong-doing, nothing. It was an irreversible loss. Yes, we have all moved on and our lives have improved. But do we ever get over the sadness of having wasted and lost so much for such a worthless cause. If there was even a shred of truth to it all, it wouldn't have been so devastating.

Two weeks ago while on a business appointment with a long-term client, he mentioned that his wife was a Jehovah's Witness. He was a week from retirement, and no assets other than an insufficient retirement plan. It was the JW reference that sent me over the edge. He noticed my level of anxiety rising. I was too embarrassed to mention that I too, was once a financial slave to religion, and like him, unprepared for retirement. It takes a lifetime to save, and one stupid, blind affiliation to lose it all. Mostly, our feathers were systematically plucked one at a time until we were depleted, then discarded like yesterday's newspaper.

I have often felt that seeing the entire religious empire crumble and cease to exist, with the ministers who so ruthlessly enforced the tithing rules finding themselves financially devastated, would go a long way towards providing the necessary closure. We need to see karma in action.

Byker Bob said...

Although I left Armstrongism back in 1975, I never really contemplated personal identity. It wouldn't have done any good, anyway, because to stay below the radar in WCG, I'd learned to play roles, assume different personalities, and act my way through whatever situations happened to confront me. I guess the "real" me was the one who selected and orchestrated all of the acts.

Recently, I've realized the importance of getting rid of all of the bogussness, sticking with the honest core, and living a purposeful and deliberate life. At the core, I'm a technician. One of the people who keeps things running. It's the one honest activity which has continued throughout my life. Building all of the bikes and hotrods over the years was really just an extension of that. And, there was very little room for a person with that skillset and those hobbies in WCG.

Had it not been for the internet, I probably would never have revisited all things Armstrongish. Fact is, when I left the org, I not only disassociated myself from all of the church members, but from all ex-members as well. It has been healing finally dealing with all of the HWAcaca after decades of simply compartmentalizing it all and ignoring that compartment.

I'd say people should wallow in it just as long as they need in order to fully process it all. The people who are most annoyed by the wallowing process are usually those who are still gung ho on HWA.

BB