What's with all the hundreds of splinter cult leaders of Armstrongism that think they have to invade your bedroom with their personal opinions? Herbert Armstrong did it with "God Speaks Out On The New Morality" and "The Missing Dimension in Sex." Garner Ted, well.....he just invaded the bedrooms and had fun. Meredith talks constantly about sex. Masturbation and gays are his favorite subject.
So it was only a matter of time till James Malm invaded your personal space in your bedroom with HIS laws. He already controls all other aspects of your daylight hour lives, why not continue on to the bedroom!
The apostle is starting series of articles on sex. So to start it off he has picked the sin of Onan to discuss.
The apostle says is is NOT a story about masturbation, but about:
9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in [He DID take her] unto his brother’s wife, that he spilled it on the ground [in a common birth control method], lest that he should give seed to his brother.
The first born son is to inherit a double portion, and that lot fell to Onan with the death of his older brothers.
However, if he produced a son for his older brother, that son would inherit the double portion, leaving Onan with only a single portion for himself and his own children.
There may have been other circumstances known to God which would account for the apparent quick judgment; for example Onan may have hated his brother; but that is not recorded and is a matter that only God knows for sure.
Onan may also have done this several times which is not recorded, before God acted, and God could have wanted this woman to have a place in the lineage of David for various reasons and so have acted to give her a better husband.
To state or imply that there is anything more to this story in sexual terms is simply not true.
No, the story of Onan has absolutely NOTHING to do with masturbation. Does that make masturbation right or wrong? NO, it merely reveals that this so called proof text on the subject, actually has NOTHING to do with that subject.
This is sure to disappoint Spanky Meredith who has obsessed over hand jobs for decades.
The only thing that ever stuck with me from the boring classes that I had at Ambassador was a comment made by an Evangelist in Principles of Living class. Oral sex and masturbation was the topic of the day. When he started talking about masturbation he asked the mixed class how many had ever done it. No one raised their hands. He then said, "95% of you in this room have done it, the other 5% lie about it."