Leave it to the legalistic Philadelphia Church of God where the young adults are forced into such a ridiculous position. Instead of being able to date friends in other COG's or even school/college friends, these young adults are restricted to the miniscule field of Armstrongite worshipers who look at Gerald Flurry as one step below Jesus. As they worship HWA so do they worship Gerald Flurry.
In my case, this relationship led to the point where, under the direction of our respective local ministers, we began dating each other exclusively. Two months ago we began marriage counseling. Our relationship to this point has been built almost entirely online, across an ocean!
Online dating requires time out of our busy schedules. But it’s not as much time as in-person dating may take! One benefit of online dating is that it allows you to come home from work, log onto your computer and dial up the individual you want to speak with. This definitely beats having to undertake a potentially hours-long drive to someone’s home—or, in my case, a flight across the Atlantic!
The Bible contains plenty of examples that demonstrate the need to sacrifice: Abraham sacrificed Isaac; Ruth gave up her entire way of life to follow God through Naomi; Hannah gave her firstborn son to a life that would not be his own; and many more.
Sacrificing a small portion of my time each day to serve my friend has helped me to be less selfish.
Another example is dancing. Believe it or not, dancing is not just about two coming together and spinning each other round and round. There are many types of dancing, just as there are many types of music, with individual preferences. One may like dancing more than the other. But if one of you likes it a lot, make it a part of your life—step out and give that individual time to show you what they can do.
A plethora of enjoyable online dating options exist. Here are just a few to consider:
From: Calling All Singles To Online Dating!
- Wine and cheese tasting
- Online shopping (link sharing)
- Have a fashion show with the items you purchase from online shopping!
- Share in exercise routines and goals
- Share in dietary preferences, nutritional information
- Have a movie night
- Go to the park (virtual)
- Go on a walk through your town (also virtual)
- Share articles from the pcg and Trumpet websites
- Have Bible studies based on these articles
- Show one another how you garden
- Perform such tasks as showing each other how to do plumbing, electrics, painting, etc. (I did this recently when my friend was decorating her living room)
- You might be able to even show your date what you do for a living, bring them to work, or show them what you do through video conferencing!