Wednesday, May 27, 2015

You Might Be A Legalist If....


Legalists, whatever they may say, are miserable people. Life is a ledger and they are always trying to measure up. They feel better only through their own perceived performance or by judging the bad behavior of others. It is a zero-sum game which never ends; you can never rest. Liberty for Captives

  1. I am continually scandalized by the driving habits of others. Yes or No.
  2. I believe that God loves me more when I behave. Yes or No.
  3. When I write a check to my church, I tithe to the penny. Yes or No.
  4. I entirely avoid alcohol, makeup, or jewelry out of fear of contamination. Yes or No.
  5. I usually stand out from the crowd because of my formal or conservative attire. Yes or No.
  6. When I encounter another professing Christian, I find myself judging their appearance. Yes or No.
  7. My good friends are all from one church or denomination. Yes or No.
  8. When I miss a Saturday/Sunday service, I feel guilty. Yes or No.
  9. When I miss any church activity, I feel guilty. Yes or No.
  10. There are only a few Bible teachers who truly teach God’s Word. Yes or No.
  11. When I sin, I feel guilty even after I ask God to forgive me. Yes or No.
  12. I believe that small children should behave like miniature adults. Yes or No.
  13. In a snow-covered parking lot, I feel anxious because I can’t see the parking lines. Yes or No.
  14. When someone gives me a gift or does something kind for me, I feel unsettled until I can reciprocate. Yes or No.
  15. I always clean my house thoroughly before anyone visits—even if they’re just popping by. Yes or No.
  16. I want my children to avoid contact with sinful people. Yes or No.
  17. I prefer to do things myself rather than accept help from people who are sloppy or less conscientious than I am. Yes or No.
  18. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. Yes or No.
  19. I believe that God is most glorified through my preferred style of music. Yes or No.
  20. I believe that all scripture is equally applicable to my life. Yes or No.
  21. I have had several conversion experiences but still doubt my salvation. Yes or No.
  22. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Jesus returned while I was sinning, I would go to hell. Yes or No.
  23. I take pleasure in reporting or punishing people who commit minor infractions. Yes or No.
  24. I like to make an example out of wrongdoers. Yes or No.
  25. I feel guilty when I exceed the speed limit by even a few miles per hour. Yes or No.
  26. I avoid certain behaviors primarily because they are wrong, rather than because they are harmful. Yes or No.
  27. I feel morally obligated to finish every book I start. Yes or No.
  28. Others could describe me as bitter and depressed rather than joyful and kind. Yes or No.
  29. I feel unlucky or cursed if I skip Bible reading or prayer. Yes or No.
  30. I believe that God is more like a policeman and less like a fireman. Yes or No.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told that when a legalist tells you what you should do or how you should do it, simply throw it back at him and up the ante. For instance, if he says you should pray for 30 minutes a day, suggest that it should be an hour. If he says you should give 10% to the church, suggest that they should give 20%. Watch the expression on their face. Legalists like to think that their standard is the right standard. Up the ante and shut them up.

Anonymous said...

Ethics and morality are spiritual in nature. It is just treating each other with common sense principles of love and respect.

Legalism on the other hand are rules invented by men that don't in many cases include any love and respect for your fellow human being and also are devoid of any common sense.

Ralph said...

So, who wants to live in a lawless society? Especially when the laws are beneficial to everybody. Take the ten commandments for instance.

Retired Prof said...

Ralph, are you implying that the ten commandments are beneficial to everybody? How can they benefit Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, Rastafarians, and other non-Abrahamic believers who lack them?

In fact, as an unbeliever I find the first four quite irrelevant to daily life. The others are okay, I guess, although if you consider the last one a law and not a mere suggestion, it turns a natural tendency to compare oneself to others into a thought crime. Not a healthy or admirable emotion, but as long as people refuse to act on it, it does no social harm. Besides, acting on it is already covered in the prohibitions against theft and adultery.

On the other hand, the commandments could be fun. In a jurisdiction where they are displayed at the courthouse, I would like to see the look on a sheriff's face if some stoner he was hauling in to jail for marijuana possession asked to stop in front of the monument and said, "Now. Read me the commandment I violated."

Ralph said...

May 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM
Anonymous Retired Prof said...
"Ralph, are you implying that the ten commandments are beneficial to everybody? How can they benefit Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, Rastafarians, and other non-Abrahamic believers who lack them?"

Yes, I am implying that. Read what you want into "Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)"

Imagine a society where long life applies to all:
"Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."
Where there is no hatred, murder or persecution:
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Where purity of person and produce is the norm:
"Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery."
Where there is no use for locks and keys nor MacAfee or Norton:
"Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal"
Where a person's word is their bond and truth is its foundation.
"Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
Where every individual is secure of their possessions:
"Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."

I'd like to see that!!

Ralph said...

May 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM
Anonymous Retired Prof said...
"In fact, as an unbeliever I find the first four quite irrelevant to daily life."

Without the first four there is little hope of fielding the last six.

cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

In addition to that:
Anonymous Retired Prof said...
"On the other hand, the commandments could be fun. In a jurisdiction where they are displayed at the courthouse, I would like to see the look on a sheriff's face if some stoner he was hauling in to jail for marijuana possession asked to stop in front of the monument and said, "Now. Read me the commandment I violated."

My best answer:
Back in the olden days ie.
"1Sa_11:15 And all the people went to Gilgal; and there they MADE SAUL KING before the LORD in Gilgal; and there they sacrificed sacrifices of peace offerings before the LORD; and there Saul and all the men of Israel rejoiced greatly."

Jehovah acquiesced to Israel's demand for a king, a human form of government and gave His authority to this new situation. From then on human government has set laws, statutes and ordinances for the benefit (or other) of the people governed by the authority of Yehovah.

So, "Now. Read me the commandment I violated."
Now, if marijuana possession is against the law of the land and it is transgressed then it is against the authority of Yehovah ie. Commandment No.1
"Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Byker Bob said...

We had actually done some research several years back, and lo and behold, discovered that the ancient Israelites knew those old seed bearing herbs, marijuana, as kaneh bosn. It was actually used as part of the temple rituals. It wasn't rolled and smoked, or baked into pastries, but it was used along with other fragrant substances to create a smoke that was disseminated by the priests.

This is by no means an excuse for people to use it illegally today, just as there isn't a valid excuse for people to recreationally use the substances which are recognized by state and federal governments as being part of Native American religious experiences. But, apparently some of these things were also actually part of the daily experiences of the Levitical priesthood. Now, just watch for someone out there to claim that he has that cohenime genetic heretage, and is therefore qualified to conduct weekly "rituals", getting into what a WCG member from the '70s once described to me as "the proper relaxed attitude for the sabbath". LOL!

BB