Dave has laid down the law to his dwindling flock on what they MUST do in order to be saved in Dave's First Dominion. Everything they own is his.
Now, obviously, there are three other fees that everyone would naturally think about, which begin your Christian walk: Believe the Gospel; repent and be baptized. Those three plus four make seven. You can’t get anywhere unless you believe the Gospel…Think of Mark 1…and then repent and are baptized, Acts 2. There are seven things that are the gateway to how to get into the kingdom, but first, you have to figure out who Christ will even let into the flock. Do you understand? Pay my price—there’s a certain price. It doesn’t mean you’re in the kingdom. Reading this gives it…Oh, that’s a lot clearer…but they’re allowed to continue to be His disciple now. I gave you seven admission fees—think of them that way.1. You’ve got to do everything God says
2. You have to love God more than others in your family
3. You have to take up your cross and follow him, and
4. You have to sell all that you have, or what we call Common
5. You have got to believe the Gospel
6. You must repent
7. You must be baptizedOr you can’t even be in the flock. Now, at a point, you’ll leave because you know you don’t belong—or Christ will evict you. But there would be no point in staying in the flock, because if you don’t belong in the flock, there’s not a chance if you don’t do these things, all of them, just like going to college. I remember paying a whole bunch of fees. Today, there’s more than four—books and tuition and room, board…All kinds of fees, application fees…and that’s just to get into the college, and then you flunk out or you can pass magna cum laude with high honor, or anywhere in between, and that’s why some get ten cities and some get five.But you’ve got to get into the college, so all discussions, brethren of God around the world, all discussions about whether or not you can be in the kingdom do not start with the verses about that. They start with how to be in the flock—to be a disciple, student, pupil, learner. How to matriculate into God’s college, so that you can be saved if you do other things.