You Can’t Be Nice To Bill Watson!
In a sermon to the Atlanta congregation of CGI this past Sabbath, Bill Watson attempted to spin his departure from that organization as a brave and heroic act. Indeed, Watson implied that he did what he did to remain true to himself and his principles and suggested that CGI’s leadership was allowing error and sinfulness to creep into their midst! He went on to assert his own integrity and insinuated that association with any organization would inevitably lead one to compromise his/her integrity. Hence, while he stated that he wasn’t looking for followers, he encouraged folks to analyze and investigate what was happening and join him in remaining faithful to “THE TRUTH.”
“Why would CGI provide Bill with this platform?” you ask. After discussing this very question with some of the leadership of CGI, my impression is that they are still trying to extend the hand of fellowship/friendliness to Bill. Unfortunately, many of them still can’t bring themselves to believe that their former minister could be so manipulative and malicious. Mr. Watson smiles and talks about different gifts and administrations while insisting that he alone has the courage and conviction to insist on righteousness – both within the ACOG culture and the culture of the country as a whole! In short, Bill has developed the skillset of a snake oil salesman. He won’t just come right out and say that he’s right and everyone else is wrong, or that what he’s selling will work. Instead, he suggests, implies, insinuates, and gives the impression to others that he has suffered for righteousness’ sake at the hands of unscrupulous and sinful men working to suppress his truth!
Interestingly, Mr. Watson went to Paul’s first epistle to the saints at Corinth for proof that he was on the right track – that he had acted with integrity and in accordance with Scripture in his dealings with CGI. You know, the one where the apostle wrote: “I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, ‘I follow Paul,’ or ‘I follow Apollos,’ or ‘I follow Cephas,’ or ‘I follow Christ.’ Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” (I Corinthians 1:10-17, ESV) Try spinning that one, Mr. Watson!
Watson went on to quote from Paul’s discussion of the various gifts within the Church (I Corinthians 12:4-11). We must not forget, however, that this discussion of different gifts is followed by this: “For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,’ that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, ‘Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,’ that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you,’ nor again the head to the feet, ‘I have no need of you.’ On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.” (I Corinthians 12:14-26, ESV) How can anyone spin this to justify separating him/herself from the body? Never underestimate an ACOG minister!
Mr. Watson then proceeded to make fun of the folks who insist on speaking about LOVE. He implied that they used love as an excuse to get away from obedience and faithfulness. Paul, however, followed his remarks about gifts with this: “And I will show you a still more excellent way.” (I Corinthians 12:31, ESV) This, of course, is followed by the LOVE chapter of the Bible! Paul wrote: “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.” (I Corinthians 13:1-3, ESV) He went on to conclude: “So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (I Corinthians 13:13, ESV)
Mr. Watson would have everyone in his audience believe that the times we live in are so evil and precarious that each and every one of us is really on our own. He quoted from Paul’s epistle to the saints at Philippi, but he once again left off a crucial part of the message. We read there: “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise, you also should be glad and rejoice with me.” (Philippians 2:12-18, ESV) Once again, the message is focused on unity – on making it into the Kingdom together.
Mr. Watson even managed to get a couple of his conspiracy theories into the message. He talked about chem trails and hinted at strange happenings on the world stage involving Venezuela, Iran, and China. In short, Bill Watson is a self-righteous and unapologetic advocate for headline theology and that “good,” old-time religion (as preached by Herbert W Armstrong)! Mr. Watson is like the servant who took what had been gifted to him many years ago and buried it in the ground to protect it!
The truth, however, is far removed from what Watson is currently selling. I have it on good authority that Watson was operating in direct defiance of the organization which employed him – and for several years prior to his departure. In short, Mr. Watson diverted tithe money away from CGI and kept it in Medina to support his own agenda and designs! “Isn’t that called stealing?” you ask. That’s what I would call it, but that’s just me. I’m sure Mr. Watson would say that he was acting to “protect” God’s tithe money from abuse by those evildoers at headquarters. We should also note that Watson used that money to buy “his” church building back from CGI, and that he continues to use that property and its resources to this day. It is now a part of his Church of God Independent Ministries! Integrity? Courage? Honesy? Those are NOT words that I would use to describe Pastor Bill Watson of Medina, Ohio! What do you think?
Lonnie Hendrix/Miller Jones
Another split and just another day within the Armstrong movement. Nothing new here.
ReplyDeleteI was just reading in Jeremiah ‘cursed is the man who trusts in man’……….As we survey the Armstrong landscape we can surely attest to that scripture. The movement that once seemed like a monolith in its hay day was built by fallible mortals on a foundation of sand. And the storm hit the house and it fell because it was not built on the Rock. Thanks for the post Millar/Lonnie.
While I attended the old WWCG, I observed a very loose association between what was preached from the pulpit and the way members behaved. And this was especially true of the .ministers.
ReplyDeleteThis may seem oxymoronic, but there is actually diversity within every stereotype! The fact is that everyone who conforms to a stereotype puts a little bit of himself or herself into the acting out of that stereotype!
ReplyDeleteHere is that stereotype. One's very controlling mentor dies! So, what does one do now? I mean Mentor's death did not void your ordination, did it? Obviously, the expectation would be that you continue preaching the gospel. Or, your mentor's version thereof. But, a funny thing happens. Without your mentor to hover over you and contol your output, making sure that it adheres to the established corporate orthodoxy, you begin to insert and inflect your own feelings, your own tastes, your own ideas into that message! Ah, yes! You must be true to your SELF! Which bespeaks of, oh, what do they call that? EGO!
What has happened to Bill may be offensive and annoying, but it is hardly original! It is true of all the clergy within all of the ACOGs. Directing this to those guys who feel that they are preserving the faith once allegedly delivered by HWA, uh, guys??? HWA would never recognize his "half a gospel" in what you are now preaching! And we're not even beginning to identify that with what happened originally on Jesus' level because HWA had already totally perverted that before it ever got to you latter day guys to whom he mentored!
So, yeah. Although he was a disciple of GTA instead of HWA, Bill has joined the likes of Pack, Flurry, Thiel, Kitchen, Brisby, Killough, Kubik, Hume, Elliott, Weston, Monson, Malm, Cox, Zurubbabel, and the rest of the ridiculous cast of characters, who are all fellow members of the basic stereotype! What a mess! If the (warning, euphemism ahead!) "Armstrong Faith Tradition" is your ticket to salvation, I guess the only alternative these days is to hold your nose and roll the dice! Or, if you believe in the church era theory, go back to one that is still largely intact! (Sardis).
My advice to the mantle grabbers is, first things first! By all means, go to Walgreens and get you a good supply of "Depends". Then take a little introspection and get ready for the big end times push! Put a little love and conscience into your gospel! Imitate Jesus! Not the image of Him some mentor attempted to create!