Friday, May 13, 2016

Church of God Idolatry



This picture was taken by a person on a COG Facebook page.  It is located in the Sevierville/Gatlinburg, TN area.  It amazes me the lengths that people go to to preserve the heretical teachings of a man who caused so much damage in peoples lives over the decades.  That legacy now carries over to the mind numbing perversions of Flurry, Pack, Thiel, Meredith and others.  Broken marriages, suicides, unnecessary deaths, pedophilia, false doctrine...on and on the list could go.  There is nothing exciting about that.

This is what the site says

Mr. Armstrong trumpeted the truth of Almighty God for over 53 years. His voice sounded the alarm for the American, and British peoples. Explaining the prophecies of the Bible as they relate to the times we are living in today, when we are surrounded by war and appalling evils. Mr. Armstrong touched many lives in his service to God, and brought hope to a confused world, as he preached the Good News of The World Tomorrow . The creators of this website desire to continue this wonderful message, serving those who are searching for the answers mankind has been asking ever since creation. Continuing to bring meat in due season to the Household of God, and to whomever the voice of Jesus Christ may reach in this end time. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have entered into a time in this century in which we have passed the point of no return. One in which terrorism, escalating wars, failing economies, devastating storms, and appalling evils are rampant. One voice has told us these days were approaching. Now we are living in the very times he warned us about. The Eternal God tells us in the book of Amos, that He will allow nothing to occur until he reveals his secrets to his servants the prophets. God, in his great love, is giving mankind one more chance to take the warnings seriously before the terrible time of the end, prophesied in your Bible. Will we LISTEN? Will we take HEED? Will we OBEY? Our future is in our hands! Mr. Armstrong always said, " DON'T BELIEVE ME, BELIEVE YOUR BIBLE" - prove these things to yourself.
Ladies and Gentlemen!  Run for your lives!

30 comments:

Homer said...

The end of the quote states; Mr. Armstrong always said, "DON'T BELIEVE ME, BELIEVE YOUR BIBLE" - prove these things to yourself. After 40 years I finally took him at his word and began to not believe him and began to prove things for myself. Sha-Zam, the things I have unlearned from HWA teachings during the past 10 years are amazing. I should have not believed him much sooner and proved things for myself.

Retired Prof said...

Checking the Bible to see if I could believe Mr. Armstrong, I discovered I couldn't. Furthermore, I couldn't believe the Bible either.

Anonymous said...

"Believe your bible" means believe my interpretation of cherry picked scriptures, and ignore all the other scriptures that prove me wrong. Also, ignore bible proof of common brainwashing expressions such as, 'government is everything,' 'administering Gods government,' and the 'give way.' yes, no one should ask where the 'two ways of give and get' appear in the bible, since they don't.

Cheers TradingGuy

John G said...

P.S. I expect to see every vehicle operated by those paid hirelings of the United Ass. To show one or more cling-ons from v.Kubik on down...or every one of them will be viewed as hypocrites...

John

Anonymous said...

One thing this writer never learned from old Herb is how to write. Just one big long block and never came up for air once. No wonder they can't be effective! Not only is the message pitiful, but the writing is atrocious as far as effectiveness is concerned. Give it some "air" already!

Anonymous said...

"Checking the Bible to see if I could believe Mr. Armstrong, I discovered I couldn't. Furthermore, I couldn't believe the Bible either."

Ain't that the truth. If I'd had that presence of mind at age 18, I could have saved myself a lot of anguish!

Pam said...

Actually, the REAL PLAIN TRUTH...is that Herbert didn't ALWAYS say, "Don't believe me, believe your Bible." But until the Internet provided a whole searchable collection of everything he ever wrote, the evidence of this was obscured. Behold, I give you Herbert's Own Words on the matter...

Excerpt from the article "Should We Listen to Others?" by HWA, Good News magazine, May, 1960

"But some will say, "But didn't you say, over the air, for us to LISTEN to you, and also LISTEN to all others, but not to believe you, and not to believe the others, but believe what we see in the Bible"

BRETHREN! When I speak on the air I am speaking to the outside WORLD-- to the unconverted. I am not speaking just to those who should already KNOW the truth.

These people all around the world, who listen to me on the radio, do not know if I am a false prophet, a minister of God, or WHAT. To them, YES, I say, DO NOT BELIEVE MEN-- BELIEVE YOUR OWN BIBLE! That is what you should have done-- before you knew the TRUTH. Probably it was because you did do that, that you saw TRUTH with your own eyes in your Bible. Perhaps that is what brought you into the truth, and led you to God's one and only true Church!

To the people who do not KNOW that this is the ONLY true Church of God, I do say those very things.

But to you who have PROVED this is GOD'S CHURCH, it is different."


The bottom Line:

Herbert Armstrong taught that once someone became a member of "God's one and only true Church," that member must believe whatever God's Apostle says in all matters, even if a member had concluded from personal Bible study that HWA was wrong about something.


*****

The above quotation is from a section of my "Field Guide to the Wild World of Religion" website that I call:

"Herbert W Armstrong In His Own Words:
The Myth & The Man

Questions about the Myth–-Answers from the Man"

You can read lots more Mythical Nonsense quotations from the Man at

The Myth and the Man


Anonymous said...

Someone should post a video on youtube with HWA preaching and Kelly Clarkson singing, "Because of You" while HWA pounds the table and talks about WWIII and all the horrible things that will befall all who don't heed his message.

Byker Bob said...

Oddly and tragically enough, the billboard doesn't mention DNA! Somebody should be sued over truth in advertising. Hopefully nobody in Tennessee will be deceived!

BB

Anonymous said...

4.34 PM I still have an 1980s sermon cassette tape, where the minister says just that. That is, we should prove all things when on the outside, but once on the inside of the church, believe everything the minister says. This is de facto robbing members of their lives, since ownership is control, and de facto worshipping of ministers. It seems the example of God not allowing Moses into the promised land, doesn't deter these power hungry ministers.

Ralph said...

on May 13, 2016 at 6:12 PM
Byker Bob wrote:-

"Oddly and tragically enough, the billboard doesn't mention DNA!"

What about DNA, BB. Is it stable? Can it be relied upon or can it be changed by design or happenstance?

cheers
ralph.f

Byker Bob said...

If you listen to science, Ralph, yeah, it is stable. Just like radio carbon dating. If you listen to your local Proponent of Armstrongism, no, it is not. It disagrees with "God's apostle". Therefore, Satan must have caused itnto be false witness.

BB

Ralph said...

on May 13, 2016 at 9:48 PM
Byker Bob wrote:-

"If you listen to science, Ralph, yeah, it is stable. Just like radio carbon dating."

Thanks for your response BB. I would ask a favor of you if you can spare 30 min out of your busy schedule. A discussion, basically between two men whom I guess could be classed as "religious" but, I believe, are far removed from "Armstrongism", can be found here.
The two men are Gary Stearman and Tom Horn.

If you can find time to watch I would much appreciate your comments on the presentation.

cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

BB in addition to my last post would you have any comment on this?

"But the potential is staggering. For decades, we have stumbled around massive Darwinian roadblocks. DNA, we thought, was an ironclad code that we and our children and their children had to live by. Now we can imagine a world in which we can tinker with DNA, bend it to our will."

"Found Here"

cheers
ralph.f

Anonymous said...

unfortunately HWA is clearly an idol to many....a great number of unbiblical traditions exist in the Churches simply because "HWA did it".

oh, and if DNA is as reliable as radio carbon dating, then I'd never convict anyone based on DNA evidence.

Anonymous said...

Furthermore, a problem is that some deluded people believe that the Bible is "The Word of God", so...
Comparing what Herbert W Armstrong wrote to what's in the Bible(in order to find the "truth") is an exercise in futility.

An analogy would be a World Net Daily writer saying, "If you don't believe me, compare it to what's at [insert name of other kooky website here]."

I recommend the following video-
Francesca Stavrakopoulou [EXTENDED INTERVIEW]

It's possible to see the Bible as great work of ancient literature without believing it to be literal "Truth"

Anonymous said...

"The two men are Gary Stearman and Tom Horn."

YES!!!
We need to look into this because these 'wondermen' have been recommended by Ralph!

Here we go-

Tom Horn, LA Marzulli & Gary Stearman have videos about "The Secret Alien Agenda On Prophecy In The News"

X-wcg'ers buying into alien-based conspiracy theories?
Sadly and of course, it's not surprising.

Thank you Ralph F, for finally revealing your juxtaposition of believing in secret alien planetary problems.
(Although, Ralph, it explains some of your past posts.)

Byker Bob said...

Ralph ~ Gary Stearman and Tom Horn of the Rocky Mountain International Prophecy Conference? Prophecy Watchers? They've got the same disease as HWA, just a little different strain. I gave up on prophecy based religion in 1975. Global climate change isn't going to reach major impact until probably the end of this current century, and if the NWO comes into play as the conspiratorialists' worst case scenario, they, like every other attempt at domination are going to find that human nature and behavior are impossible to quash, and control. I don't deal in worst case scenarios any more, and believe that prophecy is incapable of being understood and relied upon as one of the guides for life. It's just another one of those things that people use to enslave, to rob people of joyful and fulfilling lives.

On the other hand, I do believe that occasional tragic or devastating things can happen, and that we should be alert and prepared. We know that there are such things as riots. There are hurricanes such as Katrina. There are auto accidents, robberies, home invasions, and flu epidemics. There are invasions to privacy. One must be aware of scams, and corruption. Life requires more active knowledge and participation than just getting up every morning and staggering through. Placing all of these very real situations aside, and focussing on what some self-proclaimed understander of prophecy tells you is always guaranteed to put you in a bad position psychologically, educationally, financially, and functionally. It is better to take an active part in being on the side of good, part of the solution as opposed to being sidelined by somebody's enslaving gloom and doom scenario.

BB

Ralph said...

on May 14, 2016 at 8:46 AM
anonymous wrote:L-

"X-wcg'ers buying into alien-based conspiracy theories?
Sadly and of course, it's not surprising."

Maybe some do. I certainly don't.

also:
"Thank you Ralph F, for finally revealing your juxtaposition of believing in secret alien planetary problems.
(Although, Ralph, it explains some of your past posts.)"

Now that you've denigrated the messengers, do you have any comments on the topic of the stability of DNA?

cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

on May 14, 2016 at 9:18 AM
Byker Bob wrote:-

"I gave up on prophecy based religion in 1975."

BB, what does "prophecy based religion" have to do with DNA stability? Did you watch the presentation, or just make your judgement on the names mentioned?

also:
Did you read Dr,Mercola's comments on the topic?

cheers
ralph.f

Byker Bob said...

Ralph, I look at credentials and evaluate them before wasting my time. Obviously, these guys are not scientists. I base my opinions regarding DNA on what accredited scientists have to contribute, not on what religious apologists have to say. Why even bother to read pollution? That's what got us all involved in the Armstrong problem in the first place! Based on the mountain in front of us, at this point in my life, I'm a charter member of the ABA (anything but Armstrongism). Sorry if that doesn't work for you.

BB

Ralph said...

Is it possible that I've been able to raise some doubts in the minds of DNA supporters? I wonder.

cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

on May 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM
anonymous wrote:-

"It's possible to see the Bible as great work of ancient literature without believing it to be literal "Truth"

Obviously it also possible "to see the Bible as great work of ancient literature and believe it to be literal "Truth".
"Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."


cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

on May 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM
anonymous linked:-

Francesca Stavrakopoulou [EXTENDED INTERVIEW]

Published on Apr 27, 2016

Featuring a Theologian. Bible lover. Atheist. (all rolled into one)
A "Bible lover & an atheist"
Now there's an oxymoron! (yes I looked it up in my Merriam-Webster.)
One who said "Moses didn't exist" and "There wasn't an exodus" DUH
Some expeditions would disagree:

"Just ask Lennart"

A Theologian?? Not according to my Merriam-Webster viz.
Main Entry:the-ol-o-gy
Pronunciation:th*-**-l*-j*
Function:noun
Inflected Form:plural -gies
Etymology:Middle English theologie, from Latin theologia, from Greek, from the- + -logia -logy
Date:14th century
1: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially: the study of God and of God's relation to the world"

How does she study the relationship to the world of one who doesn't exist? At least in her twisted mind.
Ah, but then I forgot. To which 'god' would she be referring?? The great god 'Lucre' or the lesser one 'Ka'? LOL

cheers
ralph.f

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, there went the famous circular argument of "the bible is true because it says so." C'mon, Ralph.

Ralph said...

on May 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Byker Bob wrote:-

"Ralph, I look at credentials and evaluate them before wasting my time. Obviously, these guys are not scientists."

No, BB they are not. However I gain the impression that you have not listened to their presentation because of it and have prejudged what they have to say, especially Tom Horn, for whom I fly no flag. The early part of the discussion has nothing to do with "prophecy, nephalim, fallen angels" or the like. Tom Horn displays and discusses a 'kit' that he readily obtained and that can be used to change your own DNA or that of others
Is it possible that you are afraid of listening to this dialogue in case your own stance on the stability of DNA may be jeopardized.
In addition to that, did you follow through with the quote of my post of May 14, 2016 at 5:40 AM? viz

"But the potential is staggering. For decades, we have stumbled around massive Darwinian roadblocks. DNA, we thought, was an ironclad code that we and our children and their children had to live by. Now we can imagine a world in which we can tinker with DNA, bend it to our will."

"FOUND HERE"
and NOT from the Prophecy Watchers.

cheers
ralph.f

Ralph said...

on May 15, 2016 at 12:37 AM
I wrote"-

"Just ask Lennart"

You could also "Ask Jonathan Gray"

cheers
ralph,f

Ralph said...

on May 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM
anonymous wrote:-

"Oh dear, there went the famous circular argument of "the bible is true because it says so." C'mon, Ralph."

So anon. did you ""Just ask Lennart" or "Jonathan Gray"?
In addition to that have you checked out "some early secular writings"?

You see, any 'naysayer' will listen to, and believe, any other naysayers. On the other hand, 'True Blue' believers, for themselves, will search out evidence to support their faith. (Prov.25:2)

cheers
ralph.f

Anonymous said...

"You see, any 'naysayer' will listen to, and believe, any other naysayers.", claims Ralph.

Uh, oh! It's another far out "Linus blanket" statement from Ralph.
Sheesh!

Further, Ralph claims, "On the other hand, 'True Blue' believers, for themselves, will search out evidence to support their faith[even it means believing hacks who don't know their ass from their elbow]." Thank you for demonstrating this craziness in your verbose, self-righteous holier-than-thou fashion, Ralph.

It's amazing, all the nuttiness that the cesspool of Armstrongism has spawned.
You just can't make this stuff up!

Ralph said...

on May 16, 2016 at 7:15 AM
anonymous wrote:-

"Uh, oh! It's another far out "Linus blanket" statement from Ralph."

Are you suggesting I have been misinformed?

also:
"....[even it means believing hacks who don't know their ass from their elbow]"

So, do you consider Lennart Moller, Jonathan Gray, Tacitus (55-117AD) Pliny the Younger (112AD) The Babylonian Talmud, Lucian (120-180AD) Mara Barsarapion (73AD) Thallus (52AD) Phlegon (1st century) and numerous others, to be illiterate DUM-DUMS?

cheers
ralph.f