Friday, February 24, 2012

Dennis On : Paul and his "I have Become All Things to All Men..."






"I Have Become All Things to All Men..."

Dennis Diehl - EzineArticles Expert Author

There is no one quite like the Apostle Paul in the New Testament and no one writes more than he does to explain his idea of Christ.  Paul had a way of reaching back, or over reaching, into the Old Testament to explain Christ. Of all things, though he may have been a "Hebrew of the Hebrews" and a "Pharisee of the Pharisees," and way ahead of his buddies in school, he only ever used the Greek Old Testament and often quoted the errors in it to make his point.  Go figure. You'd think he'd use the Hebrew and get the meaning correct.
Whatever kind of Apostle Paul was, only he and Luke seems to have recognized that ordination.  No one in the New Testament Church under Peter, James or John, as goes the story, ever called Paul an Apostle.  
 I say "Christ" because Paul was not big on any human Jesus.  He never met him in real life and never quotes him.  The Gospels were written long after the Apostle Paul died, and it is Paul's writings that are or should be listed first in the order of the New Testament.  For Paul, Christ was Cosmic in nature, was crucified in the heavens by wicked spirits and all the instructions Paul ever got from Christ came in the form of visions and voices in his head.   
But there is this other way of  being Paul brags about that has always been troubling to me. 


I Corinthians 9:20
" 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. "



It's no wonder the debate about is Paul for the Law or against it, a Jewish Pharisee or a Gentile wannabe, called on the Damascus Road or called from his mother's womb, as he noted in Galatians, is endless.  If Paul was a Pharisee, he was like no other Pharisee ever.  He says after his conversion he went immediately to the wilderness for three years.  Why?  No one knows and the "to be taught by Jesus" is just made up stuff and Paul never said that himself either.  On the other hand, Acts says he was taken immediately to Jerusalem to meet the Elders and while a big topic, both cannot be correct.  Someone is lying. 




Now please don't take this as a compliment to the more egocentric COG leaders.  It is not meant to be.  Paul loved to talk about himself.  

"I wanna talk about me." 

There are a number of reasons why many scholars today believe Paul was not the author of the book of Hebrews. One obvious reason is, in the other epistles credited to him, Paul doesn't hesitate to identify himself along with his supposed credentials. The author of Hebrews is strangely silent on these matters. Many scholars believe Barnabas was the author of Hebrews, but I think Apollos is a far better candidate... but that's a different subject. The point is, no one knows for sure.  But Paul certainly couldn't be in the running as the author of Hebrews when one also considers the statistical rate of the personal pronoun usage. The author of Hebrews refers to himself only 9 times, which is approximately 1.3 personal pronouns per thousand words. To help put this in perspective, let's compare the book of Hebrews to the book of Romans. They are both relatively large books of similar length, divided into 13 and 16 chapters respectively. Yet in only the first half of the first chapter of Romans, which is 16 verses worth, Paul uses twice as many personal pronouns as the author of Hebrews uses in his entire book! In the book of Romans, Paul refers to himself 103 times, which is rate of about 18.2 per thousand! That is 13x greater than Hebrews. In 1 Corinthians, Paul refers to himself 175 times, in 2Corinthians 103 times again, and in the relatively short book of Galatians, he refers to himself 69 times which is a rate of 25 personal pronouns per 1000 words!"
"No other epistle author in the Bible wrote like Paul. This would be true on a number of levels, but one aspect is of particular interest when we are considering how Paul views himself. He had a way of drawing attention to himself with his usage of personal pronouns. When it comes to how often he uses words like, "I", "me", "my", or "mine", the overall rate in his epistles is almost three times that of his next closest rival.
Scott Nelson,  Paul and Christianity


It's kinda like knowing that David C. Pack really wrote something because of the astounding numbers of personal pronouns, calling himself "Mr. Pack" when writing about himself or using the words "astounding,"  "incredible" and "I don't think I have ever given a sermon quite like this one...well maybe back in June of 1986, but not like this one..."  Stuff like that.  We'd be able to spot a genuine article in a second.  So it is with Paul. 
But there is this other thing Paul believed that is most troubling.  


I Corinthians 9:20;

" 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. "


If this really is the way Paul operates in ministry, how on earth would one ever know what he really believed?  Is this an admirable trait to act like everyone you come in contact with is just like you and you just like them?  Could you ever really trust a man who simply slipped in and out of costume depending on the kind of play he was in?  I don't recall Jesus, in the Gospels, becoming a Roman or Samaritan when it served him better to do so.  But then again, the Gospels NEVER heard of the Apostle Paul as Saul. Funny he should live right there in Jerusalem but never come up in the Gospels.  But then again, most theologians have never seen a Pharisee so cozy with the Romans , complete with Roman citizenship, as Paul seems to have enjoyed.  (Some suspect Paul was a Sadducee in fact and someone upgraded him along the way telling his story.)  Sadducee's loved the Romans and worked for the making some feel Paul was not so much a brilliant Pharisee "above all his fellows," (Sounds like Dave again..) but a temple thug who was sent out to harass the good folk not cozy with the Romans.  For this, I would recommend, Hyam Maccoby's  , Paul the Mythmaker

I won't repeat the argument that it was Paul that the early church considered a "Simon Magus" or why the Ephesian Church letter in Revelation probably can best be summed up by this short critique...
Paul to the Ephesians: "I am an apostle of Jesus"
The Ephesians to Paul: "No you're not."
Jesus  to the Ephesians: "Well done!" 


... but it is a great story!


So...should we trust a man and his view of Jesus, or rather the Cosmic Christ who would do and be anything to anyone they needed him to be to win them over?  I don't see the Peter, James or John of the New Testament thinking this was the way to go.  Would we not think such a way of being to be outright lying or duplistic?  Could you ever trust a man who bragged about doing his work that way?  


Paul went on to say,



"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ."   1Corinthians 10:31-33



Whatever "Christ" he was imitating, it's not any Jesus I read about in the Gospels.  Pleasing all men???  When was this?   In Galatians 2:13-14 we have Paul practically cursing Peter and "withstanding him to his face," over Jewish sensibilities and seems he suspended his "all things to all men," and "pleasing" with this group from James.


Actually I believe we can argue that Peter plainly saw Paul was not even going by the Noahide ruling of James in answering the question, "if a Gentile can become a Jew with the Noahide rules, how can a Gentile become a Jewish Christian?"  The answer was..."The same way..."  Avoid meat sacrficed to idols etc....   Of course we see in I Corinthians that Paul went back to Corinth and had no intentions of abiding by even the Noahide rules given by James.  I believe Peter saw this at this meal and withdrew.

 
In my years of study on just who is this man that usurps the New Testament and out writes the 12 Apostles , who actually wrote nothing.  Sorry to say, Jesus himself never seems to have written anything so either he was illiterate or what? We find ourselves depending on this Apostle Come Lately for most of the NT theology about Christ.  


When you read the Gospels and try to match the Jesus of the Gospels with the Christ of Paul or the Killer Jesus of Revelation, well...it's a chore. 


Paul had a habit of saying, quite often,  "I lie not."  I think he was lying or at least was often accused of it by the Jewish Christian Church and Apostles of the Gospel  disciples to become Apostles stories.  Remember, Luke was Paul's biographer of sorts and the only one in the NT who seems to favor him.  Luke is also the only other human in the NT who calls this man who brags about being all things to all men an Apostle.  


So...if I had to pick a more accurate NT view of Jesus  (Not the Gnostic Heavenly Christ of Paul who is called "the hallucinatory Christ of Paul,"  I would pick the Jewish Christian view of Jesus.  I would leave the Apostle Paul out of the truth equation altogether.  The early church, if there really was one as presented, hated Paul and being hated by the Jewish Church does not prove he was God's man of faith and power and should get to write the story of whoever a man called Jesus really was.  I think I would pick the WCG again!  However, I don't trust the veracity of the entire story so, not to worry. 


I'd be the opposite of Marcion I suppose who cut out most of the OT and NT and only kept Paul's writings.  Today we understand that Paul's original writings are probably Romans, I and 11 Corinthians, Galatians, Phillipians, I Thessalonians and Philemon.  The rest are up for grabs and doubtful, containing church issues and topics that are far too far down the road to be issues in the life of Paul.  As we have seen, no Apostle Paul wrote the Book of Hebrews.


So...would you trust a man who brags about being all things to all men and who would do anything to please others?  i don't.  I also don't trust a man who is said to have fallen off his ass, heard the voice of Jesus in his head and saw a bright light, which are all the symptoms of temporal lobe epilepsy, (not the ass part) and all three renditions of it by Luke contradict each other. 




Dennis C
DenniscDiehl@aol.com

11 comments:

Lake of Fire Church of God said...

"I have become all things to all men...", the Apostle Paul.

MY COMMENT - So in other words, to boildown the Apostle Paul's statement into modern vocabulary - the Apostle Paul became a "politician".

Richard

Byker Bob said...

Most people read this, and by word association, the word "hypocrite" immediately come to mind.

You've got to break it down. To the extent that you are being honest, there is nothing wrong with reaching inward, and drawing parts of your nature or basic experience to relate to people. It's there, it's part of you, and it sometimes comes out as part of human empathy. Absence of empathy is one of the hallmarks of the sociopath.

What would be wrong, and many Christians today recognize this, would be for you to alter your character in order to relate to or empathize with others. That becomes bad witness anyway, because for many it confirms the stereotype of Christian hypocrite.

Being a Christian is very complex, even if you are not preoccupied with legalism. You constantly evaluate the love, compassion, basic honesty, and examples you set in all of your relationships. St. Paul's love always manages to come through in his writings. His epistles are very inspiring and set a high standard, unless one deliberately reads the worst into them, or looks for an excuse to invalidate the man. It's been my experience that whatever one is truly looking for is what one will find. These days, I guess I'm preoccupied with looking for God's goodness in everything. Life is good.

BB

DennisCDiehl said...

BB I understand what you are saying. I am just pointing out the genuine historical and thelogical problems that many a theologian has with Paul and many a Hebrew Scholar or Jewish Scholar has with the way the man called Paul represents the Old Testament. These observations are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how Paul thinks, uses and abuses the OT to make it say what it does not say and mean what it never meant.

It's ok to recognize this in a writer. Especially one who gets a lot of credit for telling humanity how it all is . If I told you I had a bright light appear to me and in my head I heard the voice of God or Jesus tell me to start a new church, I am thinking you and everyone I know would not take that all that seriously. But time makes something we would not accept easily today more mysterious and acceptable the longer ago it was. We just accept it as fact. Paul also said he went to the third heaven and saw and heard lots he simply could not share. Again, I say that today and it's effexor for me or lithium and a counselor. But time makes us feel that it must be true, especially since it is in the Bible.

But what's the point of Paul saying he went to the third heaven but can't report the great stuff he saw. I think his human nature was at work making him seem special and he really had nothing to report . Whereever he went or whatever he saw, it was not the Third Heaven. Unless he had a Near Death experience as is not all that uncommon and with as many times as Paul said he survived stoning, (not an easy thing to survive) he may have had a NDE.

Anyway, I am in the stage of study and recognition that the Bible has problems with itself and I can't just fluff over them and keep on in la la land denying I see what I see and what many many others see as well.

The next stage may be, "so what do I do with this understanding and how can I grow in a spiritual way inspite of things not being as I had always been lead to believe..."

I will always say it is the most sincere who when get burned, get busy finding out what went wrong and how to avoid being mislead again...

DennisCDiehl said...

Actually, I am thinking I have probably contributed about as much as I can to just about everything. I need some kind of positive something for me personally at this stage....Current job is drying up and I can see more change, which I am not all that great with, coming up again.

Jace said...

"Actually, I am thinking I have probably contributed about as much as I can to just about everything."

Well that was downright depressing!

As I've told you before Dennis, your contributions have been of great value to me, as well as many, many other people. If this is the moment you decide to stop playing in this sandbox of ours, do so knowing that you helped a great many people.

You are one of the few WCG ministers I am aware of to ever admit error, let alone spend countless hours trying to make things right (the way I see it anyway). That makes you a rare breed.

But your contributions are not yet over. You have yourself to consider. Take some time to contribute to your own life. Find a new hobby even. (Have you ever tried video games? lol) Maybe do some traveling. Maybe take your vast sum of knowledge and write a book. Fiction even. Who knows, you may strike it big and not even have to worry about jobs drying up. I've got a new blog in the works. Not a goddammed thing to do with armstrongism, I think you'd like it. Secular humanism only. Science, reason, political commentary, finding purpose in a godless world. Maybe I can get you to write a piece for that.

Anyway, my point Dennis, is that your story is far from over. Change sucks, I know, but I'm sure you'll take it in stride.

Keep your chin up!

John said...

Ditto with Jace, Dennis. Don't give up sharing your learning with us. It was one of your posts on the UCG a few years ago that by chance started me on my path of questioning and re-evaluating the legacy of HWA. Besides just because something good is coming to an end in one part of your life doesn't mean that's the end of the whole story. Be glad that you had a chance to experience it for one and know that something as good, if not better, will take its place if you just give it some time. We all fear change to one degree or another whether its a change in our jobs, friends, residence, etc. I know I do! I've always looked back nostalgically on my childhood and teenage years pre-9/11 as if it was a "dream" when I was surrounded by friends and family, filled with hope for the future and assured of plenty of opportunities. But, now I feel all spent up, lost and alone feeling like I've been cast adrift with no place to berth. Then again it was only last September 11 I found out I wasn't the only one. My sister felt the same about her past too. I admit though I've been trying to break these chains by embracing the uncertainty of life a little more each day and to look at it like an adventure--like Jim Carrey's "Yes Man"! It worked for him didn't it? :-D

BTW Didn't Peter even admit that Paul's letters were a challenge even for him, an original disciple of Christ and apostle, to read and understand (2 Peter 3:16)?

DennisCDiehl said...

Thank you Jace and John. I deeply appreciate the encouragement and perspectives. Pleased I could help.

I'd go back to being a teen in a heartbeat.ha. I came from a very stable family and in a time where you grew up where you lived. Once I made that trip to California for school, it all changed forever.

I do have a private massage school here in town wanting me to teach so that may work out . I do realize that I love teaching and probably was more a teacher at heart all my life. I just would rather be teaching a spirituality instead of a religion.

I went off topic a few days ago in pathology class at the urging of students and we talked turkey on the Bible. They loved it. I gotta stop that! ha. I do get tired of students reminding me that men must have one less rib because of ...well you know. argh.

At any rate, thank you and we'll see how goes the immediate future. The best definition of history I ever heard was , "History is one damn thing after the other!" So it is with us all.

Byker Bob said...

Dennis, I also hope that you will continue sharing. I also hope you don't mind terribly if I disagree with you, or challenge some of your precepts.

My point in contributing to the discussion is that Paul was largely glossed over by WCG, and totally misunderstood. Basically, HWA attempted to clean Paul up by filtering and correcting all he said through the Old Covenant. That is one of the same "tools" that the Pharisees utilized to invalidate Christianity. So, you end up believing that the New Covenant is basically the Old, with the singular modification that we add a messiah, and delete laws and ordinances which were seen as being replaced by the life and sacrifice of Christ. In WCG, Paul was largely marginalized and considered as a resource for lifting specific scriptures in proof-texting exercises. You are left with legalism, which WCG seemed to believe would produce a spiritual experience.

HWA filtered Paul, others take him totally at face value, while still another approach (possibly equal in damage to HWA's approach) would be to totally write off Paul, to question and invalidate nearly everything he had to say, even though (and I know we all have differing opinions of the canonization process!) Paul wrote a very significant percentage of the New Testament, and actually of the Bible itself.

So, what do we do with him? If we are allowed to read for ourselves, much of his theology is a marked departure from WCG. In fact, he seems to have, as you pointed out, even experienced some charismatic and even rapturous experiences. For me, Paul is a big part of the puzzle which I always thought was missing in WCG. Some of my time there, I was seeking a genuinely spiritual experience, one which Paul seems to indicate is very possible under the New Covenant, if following the teachings of Jesus Christ, and not being tied down by Old Covenant legalism. While I was convinced that this is largely imaginary at the time I left WCG, I believe that I've at last found this spiritual experience, and am in a sweet spot with many blessings, some much needed transformation, and a feeling that everything is just as it is supposed to be. Like yourself, I do undergo some really serious situations, but I can also see the hand of God leading me through them.

Regarding the Old Testament scriptures, we know that the resurrected Jesus taught his disciples specifically which scriptures in the Old Testament referred to Himself. We also know that both Jesus and the disciples quoted from the Septuagint which often differed from the Masoretic text and translations of today. The very act of translating causes an inadvertant paraphrase, due to the nuances of each language involved.

Anyhoo, please do continue sharing.
The overall vibe of this blog would suffer with your absence! I believe that your comments on Paul do a great service for people still in the ACOGs, because you have to strip everything down clear to zero before you can begin rebuilding. Hopefully your comments can become an important part of some ACOGger's journey.

BB

DennisCDiehl said...

Thanks BB. Although we don't share the same view I know you in the sense of being one who is seeking and I am glad you have found what works for you.

Perhaps I am more a realist than a skeptic, I don't know. I crave a genuine spirituality that explains reality. Perhaps I find it in quantum physics, the concept of the holographic universe or the nature of consciousness and just what is a human. The Bible, in many ways, seems so archaic to me now and much of what seemed so huge and so large in concept now seems like cultic blather to me in a universe where there are billions of stars and planets and we are the first human generation to know this.

I will live out my life seeking and perhaps just resting in to the truth that we are all one and all small parts of the one big benevolent thing.

I find it hard to fathom fearing some hell or lake of fire because I couldn't figure out God's infinite love as written. Makes no sense. I'd rather be it and experience it.

I have learned that Fear destroys love. I have seen that happen on many levels so "fearing God" makes loving impossible. Perfect love does not cast out hate for that is not the opposite of love. Fear is the opposite of love so either love casts out fear, or fear destroys love. That makes sense to me.

At any rate, thanks for the comments and encouragement...

John said...

Can I just say, "thank you" BB! I've been trying to reconcile Paul's writings for the better part of a month now for myself as I've been looking at alternate views of the NT Sabbath in conjunction with Rom. 14:5, Gal. 4:10, Col. 2:16 and Heb. 4 in addition to comparing his instructions of the "Lord's Supper" (1 Cor. 11:17-34) with Christ's Last Supper in the gospels and the numerous references to the early Church meeting together to "break bread." But, I admit I'm still having difficulty making sense of it all in my attempt to reconcile it all together. And you've summarized the debate quite well IMO especially the way the ACOGs look at Paul's epistles through the lens of the Mosaic Covenant. I've only learned, however, that their interpretation still leaves many questions unanswered (e.g. Why was there nothing mentioned in his epistles about Sabbath work conflicts? Why isn't the fourth commandment repeated in the NT and why isn't its non-observance never mentioned as a sin that'll keep Christians out of the Kingdom of God unlike the other commandments? Why doesn't the ACOGs observe the "new moon" or the Sabbatical and Jubilee land sabbaths as per Col. 2:16 if they are all still relevant? Why does Paul's example seem to indicate he didn't consider any day special, but preached every day (when he wasnt working at his trade) first to the Jews on the Sabbaths and then later daily in the marketplace or lecture halls or homes? Why does Acts refer to the early church "breaking bread" regularly whenever they'd come together and not to some annual "Christian" Passover? etc.) It has made me question whether any Christian church today is really following the NT Church of God and why Christ lamented to his disciples that when He returns "shall He find the Faith on the earth?" (Lk. 18:8). The obvious answer is He probably won't hence the need for Him to return and to restore all things (Acts 3:21).

Byker Bob said...

John, we've certainly all had to deal with the same kinds of issues you outlined. I'm just very glad you are here on this blog!

After 30 years of spiritual homelessness, I was very fortunate in finding a good church right in my own neighborhood. I have to state though, that contrary to what we were taught in WCG, you are just not going to find a perfect church. That is why I use church simply to suppliment my own personal relationship with God. I do my own due diligence through personal prayer and Bible Study, asking God to guide me, and I deliberately refrain from proselytizing people whom I meet at church, or criticizing any of the teachings. Quite honestly, I've been astounded at the level of love, understanding, and enthusiasm found at Christ's Church of the Valley here in my community. The spirit of that church is one of trying to imitate the early church as described in the Book of Acts.

I also found out that this church is affiliated with the Willow Creek Association, not that that is the only or ultimate criterion for finding a good church, but if the name sounds familiar, it is because Mark Tabladillo, former WCG minister and now teacher of the New Covenant, is also affiliated with Willow Creek. I recommend a bit of church hopping, but a church associated with Willow Creek may be a good place to start.

I will say, because of all the things we were falsely told about mainstream Christians, it took me some time following God's re-entry into my life before I would even consider walking into a church. I'm now very glad I took the plunge! Some other members of my family have also had great success in this area, and one of my siblings actually teaches at a Baptist college.

As far as some of the issues you outlined, Gary (NO2HWA)recently published a link to a paper written partially by Bill Hohmann, entitled "Lying for God". It is about Biblical issues related directly to the sabbath and the Adventist movement in general. You may find some nuggets in that paper.

We all walk that lonesome valley, but I think that's the way God intends it. The good news is that God is real, and He does provide guidance for His children. I wish you the best in your new adventure!

BB