Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Perspectives-It Depends on How You Look At It

Perspectives-It Depends on How You Look At It



“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...”
Robert G. Ingersoll
Spiders

I gave a sermon once with a large 3D image that , when looked at properly and with parallel viewing skills  (go learn ye what that meaneth) one would see the hidden picture embedded in the pattern.

The point was, of course, just how difficult it can be at times to see that which is clearly there if we just know how to do it and are willing to give it a go.   Once you could see the image, you can never unsee it.  If you can not see it, try as you might or would not see it because one believes it's not there to see,  you never will see it. .

Small Candy Clusters
After the sermon the large image placed on an easel was available up close and a rather large crowd of people gathered around it. I stood back and let the conversations unfold. It was a telling example of how we receive new information or not.  A good chunk of the congregation hung out to give it a go but, as well, a fairly large number simply didn't bother and just went about the standard fellowship time as if nothing new was available for consideration and inspection. Also telling

"How's this thing supposed to work?"
(Didn't listen to the instructions)

"Looks like just a bunch of jumble to me"
(Flippant know it all who states the momentary obvious and isn't about to try to see anything differently or ask how to)

"Oh I see it!!!"
(That was fast! Probably saw this before elsewhere and knew already how to see it)

"Ok, ok...you kinda gotta just relax your eyes and cross them a bit."
(Apt to teach)

"You're all  nuts! "
(Their common response to everything not understood or provides no interest)

"I think I see it."
(Hopeful and willing to see. Eventually did)

"I think I see it"
(Wanted to but I doubt ever did)

"Yeah I see it it. So what"
(Maybe saw it. Maybe not. Can't admit to learning anything they didn't come up with or not actually seeing it, who cares.)

(Dinosaur)
"This is stupid"
(That's as far as they got)

"Oh , oh....that is so cool!"
(Lover of knowledge. Went about teaching others how to see it too)

"Um...oh yeah, I see it"  
(leaves and didn't really)

"I didn't come to church for this crap"
(I went back to church for other crap the next week)

"Sorry, I don't see it. I gotta go."
(I think they wanted to but it just didn't work for them)

"Yeah, yeah...I saw it. Let's go to lunch"
(Didn't see it. Didn't want to admit they couldn't see. Changed the topic)

"Diehl is an idiot. I want our old minister back"
(Change is uncomfortable. Long for the past and attack the messenger)

"C'mon! Let's go to lunch!"
(More hungry than inquisitive. Or just can't see it and gave up)

( Dave Pack, Gerald Flurry, Bob Thiel sermon in 2D.  Nothing here to see no matter how long you sit and hope to see it)

2D
Old or Young?
It depends on how you look at it...
And so it is....

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have heard this song before. Be willing to learn always amounts to agreeing with HWA, err, with Dennis Diehl.

Byker Bob said...

I guess it would be how you use this that’s important. If presented as sort of neutral and interesting information, it’s kind of cool. But, it also has the potential to be used to establish control or supremacy. It works best when allowed to have whatever effect that the individual viewer allows it to.

BB

Anonymous said...

DD seems to have fallen into the lazy Winnail syndrome, that of recycling and repeating his old posts every few years. That is, of course, when he's not retired (which he frequently has announced) again from posting.

TLA said...

Dennis - I would have enjoyed having you as our local minister.
Some ministers are more fun loving and interesting than others.
Plus some appeal more to some than others.
As a SF reader, I enjoyed Gerald Waterhouse's wild speculations, while it seems some just thought he was crazy.
One example - the beast power would have solar powered satellites, and then the sun goes out.

At a non COG group I now go to, the sermon started out about basketball, then showed some clips of Nowitzki and his fade back jumper, and then some current NBA stars who have copied his signature move. (Sermons are generally about 40 minutes.)

Anonymous said...

I've always loved optical illusions and magic tricks. I still remember when I was a teenager at church, which was northern baptist at that particular time, where I almost sent an older woman into cardiac arrest by doing the Balducci levitation. In fear, I had to quickly show her how I did the trick.

DBP

nck said...

Where I am at, it is dark and difficult to read the posting so my response is really off topic.

My eye caught robert ingersoll. But it was Robert G not S Ingersoll who accompanied HWA at the japanese emperor when he was awarded the japanese distinction, among those wcg service toward the return of okinawa which was a matter of life and death.

Ah well different letter, different person, different perspective.

Nck

Dennis said...

Working on glitch

Anonymous said...

Nck
You are a HWA worshipper. The body of evidence doesn't lie.

TLA said...

A specific time element for persecution was added by Herbert Armstrong in his sermon declaration ( 1 1-23-63 ), "In eight years [ 1972] all of our ministers will be silenced!"

Loudest silence ever.

nck said...

No,my phone acted strange in the tunnel at a large national airport (probably bugged) and I could barely read Ingersoll.

I'm more of a history buff with an eye for eerie detail and larger patterns and hwa is a favorite for leisure.
Nck

Anonymous said...

The first one looks like belly dancers run over by a stampede of camels, probably on their way to get the smarties in the second picture.

Tonto said...

Id like to know how Joe Jr did his magic trick... making $300 million just "disappear" .

Feastgoer said...

Didn't find Waldo in any of those. :-)

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the way different people view a post, what I took from what Denis was showing is that we have to realise that things are not always what they seem.
In his case HWA's teachings and ideas, and the idea that one has to think deeply and from a different paradigm or perspective to realise the con. toby

Anonymous said...

These were super trendy in the 90s. All our teachers posted these. It took me several tries, sometimes on different days on each one to get it. They can be really frustrating. Even when you know the trick its sometimes really hard to do.

nck said...

Yes. Was is president Roosevelt when nervous before hus weekly radio adress took the perspective of imagening the radio audience to be naked.

When someone is winning an argument when discussing with me, I take the perspective of the dying sun.

"Who cares about your opinion now."

Today I take interest in quantum mechanics. One of my persona is helping and saving the entire world, while at the same "time" another of my persona is going to hell.

One is stopping earth from rotating and another is observing the impossibility of it all.

Nck