Thursday, August 4, 2011

When God Becomes A Drug: Breaking the Chains of Religious Addiction and Abuse










Taken from When God Becomes A Drug by Leo Booth.

SYMPTOMS OF RELIGIOUS ADDICTION

Inability to think, doubt, or question information or authority

Black-and-white, simplistic thinking

Shame-based belief that you aren't good enough, or you aren't "doing it right"

Magical thinking that God will fix you

Scrupulosity; rigid, obsessive adherence to rules, codes of ethics, or guidelines

Uncompromising, judgmental attitudes

Compulsive praying, going to church or crusades, quoting scripture

Unrealistic financial contributions

Believing that sex is dirty -- that our bodies and physical pleasures are evil

Compulsive eating or excessive fasting

Conflict with science, medicine, and [secular] education

Progressive detachment from the real world, isolation, breakdown of relationships

Psychosomatic illness: sleeplessness, back pains, headaches, hypertension

Manipulating scripture or texts, feeling chosen, claiming to receive special messages from God
Trance like state or religious high, wearing a glazed happy face

Cries for help; mental, emotional, physical breakdown; hospitalization





PROGRESSION OF RELIGIOUS ADDICTION
EARLY STAGE:
  • *Ordinary religious or spiritual lifestyle
  • Using Bible to calm nerves
  • Excessive church-going / Bible study
  • Praying before attending functions
  • Church / Bible becomes greater focal point
  • Using church / Bible / prayer to avoid problems
  • Black-and-white thinking increases
  • Missing family gatherings or work because of religious functions
  • Compulsively thinking about or quoting scripture
  • Preoccupation with church / Bible study
  • Thinking only of church
LOSS OF CONTROL PHASE
MIDDLE STAGE:
  • Rationalization begins
  • Secret irritation when religious practices discussed or criticized
  • Increased use of church / Bible / prayer to avoid problems
  • Thinking world / body evil
  • Compulsive church attendance and scripture quoting
  • Church attendance bolstered by excuses
  • Obsessive praying, church-going, crusades, proselytizing
  • Loss of other interests
  • Excessive financial contributions / tithing
  • Obsession with church / religion / preacher(s)
  • Increasing dependence on religion
  • Sexuality is perceived as dirty
  • Feel guilt when missing church functions
  • Excessive fasting / eating disorder
  • Refuse to think critically / doubt / question information or authority
  • Efforts to control church-going fail
  • Isolation from people
  • Unable to sensibly discuss religious issues
  • Non-religious family and friends judged or avoided
  • Brainwashing: family and friends
  • Grandiose and aggressive behavior
  • Conflict with school or work
  • Loss of job
  • Money problems
LATE STAGE:
  • Radical deterioration of relationships
  • Preaching that sex is dirty
  • Sexual compulsive / obsessive behavior; sexual acting out
  • Unreasonable resentment(s)
  • Physical and mental deterioration
  • Powerlessness
  • Lengthy crusades / mission work / communes
  • Loss of family / friends
  • "Messages" from God
  • Unable to make decisions
  • Trances/stares
  • Complete abandonment
  • Isolation
  • Physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion
  • Psychiatric assistance
  • Hospitalization
 





4 comments:

DennisCDiehl said...

Excellent post and information if for no other reason than to show the experience of getting sincerely involved in the wrong or inappropriate religious experience has universal consequences.

They sell books and make tapes about such things because it is a common experience.

It doesn't matter if it is a fundamentalist Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Adventist or JW experience gone wrong for the seeker, the pattern for recovery can be the same. The make money selling books because the book helps many people who need the information to get through.

The goal seems to be to not let any life experience define you. I am consciously working on keeping in the present which is not easy. I am endeavoring to avoid saying, "I used to be a minister," "I used to believe ..." and all the "I" this or that's "I" could come up with. The experience does not define me now and should not have then.

This is why Eckhart Tolle's description of the Pain Body makes so much sense to me. The ego, the false self, wants to feed and pump itself up with victimhood, pity, anger, fear, shame and guilt because that is what the ego feeds off of.

Railing on and on about an experience, which is really all it was and is, changes nothing. Anger unaddressed eats me up more than those the anger is addressed to. Pity parties get old and one gets to sound like a broken record going over and over and over the hurt and what we feel about it all.

All have their place for a time I suppose, but it cannot define us now.

I don't wish to look back over life and just feel the first half of life was all about a sincere belief gone bad and the second half railing against it all as if that would change the experience.

I can change my perception of the experience however.

A. If that had not happened, then this could not have happened."

B. I am wiser for the experience and no longer willing or able to be as deceived about religion or religious authorities."

C. I found my voice.." (Sorry Dave...Yes, I do have a tendency to want to have one.)

D I faced my fears and learned to not let others determine my personal contentment or joy.

E. I learned to pay attention to those niggly doubts and suspicions because not doing so in the past has been costly.

F. I learned not to care what others think of me which I did way too much of in the past.

G. I learned how to accept losses

F. I learned how to live simply and appreciate the small things

G. I've learned to say, 'I'm sorry, I was wrong about that."

H. I've learned to say, "I'm sorry you feel that way but..."

I. I have learned life is choices...

J. And a whole bunch of other stuff I would not have learned or experienced had I not have my own personal WCG experience.

While I have my moments, it is getting better and better in the void between my ears...

amen

Anonymous said...

Science and logic are the best weapons: Emotions got you into this mess and only science, logic and discipline will get you out.

Anonymous said...

Dennis:

There are probably very few who make it through life without falling victim to lies & misrepresentation. It can take any form ... abusive parents or caregivers, teachers, spouses, employers, business & corporations, government, religion, science, marketing & advertising, friends, the high of drugs or alcohol. In the end, we are left with a lifetime of regret.

There was always an underlying nagging feeling that things just weren't right in the WCG during my 13 years of membership. But I was too brainwashed and fearful to leave.

Eventually, we grow to the point we can step outside the box and view it objectively. It is at that point that we have the confidence to walk away regardless of the consequences, loss, or what others think or say.

The problem with religious fraud is that it supposedly answers to a higher power; sadly, a higher power that, if it does exist, allows the abuse to continue.

It could have been worse ... we could have been members of Warren Jeffs cult.

Byker Bob said...

Any strength practiced to extreme becomes a weakness. That is something we need to keep in the forefront of our minds when confronting or dealing with self-serving fanatics.

BB