Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grace In The Dark Places: Conquering the Cultic Mindset (Part 1)






by  Jim Turner
Xulon Press
2010
337 pages


Following are some excepts from Jim Turners book on his life as a youth growing up in Armstrongism.  His part as a minister in the church and his escape from the cultic mindset of Armstrongism.  He has done extensive research into the psychology of why people join cults and remain in them.  Almost all of his experiences were like mine growing up in Armstrongism in the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Dayton Ohio area in the 60's and 70's.  It still amazes me that people in various of the splinter groups deny to this day that any of this ever happened.




From the back cover:
Why are people drawn to alternative religions that deviate from the norm of Christian belief?  Why do they stay? What compels them to cling to false dogma, even in the face of evidence that their beliefs are in error?  Why do they engage in scriptural gymnastics in defense of beliefs that have no grounding in Christian theology?  Why do they tolerate abusiveness from charismatic leaders and cede personal freedom?  Why are they willing to defend these leaders and their institutions to the bitter end?

After a lifetime of spiritual incarceration, Jim Turner began studying the cult mentality in order to better understand his actions.  He researched religious cults and their practices and traced their teachings throughout history as they found their way into the 'New Religions." His studies have convinced him that there is indeed "nothing new under the sun."  New Religions offer amended ideas that identified past cults. Modern cults have extracted beliefs from past groups and added a spin that presents them as original and, of course, inspired.

Psychological manipulation plays a significant role in the development and continuation of modern cults, but Jim Turner has presented a convincing argument that the psychological condition and willingness of cultists to surrender their freedom to cult leaders and their irrational tendencies to elevate a revered leader to a semi-divine level are equally responsible for the advancement of cults.

Follow the author through the early stages of cult indoctrination, the personal abuses he experienced at the hands of the cult, his personal choices as he rose through the ranks of the cult and his eventual enlightenment to eh deceptiveness of the cult led by Herbert Armstrong.  Walk with him out of the darkness of cultic deception into the glorious light of the Grace of God through Jesus Christ.



Preface

(pg. xviii) From the time of that ignoble birth, my mind developed along a singular path of religion mixed with superstition and fear, for my mother, notwithstanding her poverty and lack of education, was determined to leave her children a legacy of religions instructions.  The earliest memories I have involve the elements of the pietism that drove her to focus all her maternal energies toward that end. She swaddled her children in a tight cocoon of biblical mishmash, intended to protect them from the corruption of the world around having the collateral effect of restricting them from social and intellectual development.  Sabbath keeping, observance of the Jewish holy days, adherence to biblical dietary laws – including no pork, catfish, rabbits, squirrels, or lard, along with other taboos from Herbert Armstrong’s theology – ruled our home.

We ate no white bread and no white sugar (brown sugar processed with awful-tasting molasses was substituted), took regular doses of cod liver oil, ate prunes to keep us regular, and took no medicines, not even aspirin for headaches.  Mom taught us that the girls in the neighborhood who wore shorts were sinful, that women were to wear dresses and occasionally long pants if working in the fields.  In her religious fervor, she itemized sinful behavior to include virtually every action of everyone around us.

As I began to investigate the chain of circumstances that led to the twists and turns in my life, I came to realize that others would benefit from my experience through recognition of similar traits and influences that brought them to a similar place in life.  I was deceived.  (pg. xix) I was conscripted into a clever collusion, to which I eventually consigned my body and soul.  The torturous and serpentine journey into spiritual confusion that describes my life is complex and indistinct, even perplexing at times.

There came a time when my subjugation expired and I willingly reenlisted, accepting the consequences of my actions. I elected to ascend through the ranks, disregarding the abuse and compromise that attended such advancement.  There were vague crossroads, times when circumstances dictated my decisions as well as times when, clearly, I acted according to the fortuitous winds of personal advantage.  There were moments of uncertainty when I opted to follow the crowd rather than taking the moral high road that my conscience futilely prescribed.  Guilt played a huge role in my actions, a contentious double-edged guilt that often implied that I must follow the dictates of the man whom I had come to believe was the true servant of God while at the same time suggesting that I must buck the crowd and openly acknowledge the abuses.

No one will find, in my exact footsteps, the exact path of his own life.  I believe we will find that notwithstanding the deviations in our course, we crossed the Rubicon together and arrived at the same destination. We became members of a cult.  We sacrificed our vision through acceptance of that of a charismatic figure to whom we pledged undying loyalty.  Inherent to that sacrifice came a willingness to separate ourselves from others, including family and friends, who failed to see the privileged status to which we had subscribed. We became spiritual elitists.  Parasitically, we attached ourselves to the one and only true servant of God in hopes of obtaining exclusive positions in the divine appointment.

(pg. xx)  From early on, I subscribed to the belief that Herbert Armstrong was the man of God that he purported to be.  I was willing to blindly follow him, sometimes not knowing which way I was moving, going up or going down, upright or upside down – it mattered not as long as I was keeping my eyes on the leader. His vision was my vision.  As I matured, there were times when I entertained doubts, still willing to follow his lead, but subconsciously strapping on a parachute so that if a crash seemed imminent, I could bail out.

Ultimately, slowly at first, more rapidly toward the end of my career as a minister in Armstrong’s church, I came to the realization that I must assume control of my life, utilize the instruments available to me as a child of God and abandon the passive acceptance of his leadership.  As I swerved away from his superintendence, I experienced fear and hesitancy, doubtful of my ability to navigate the ship of my life.  For a while, I was free-falling, spinning out of control, lacking the confidence to grab hold of the yoke that controlled the flight of my life.  Myriad emotions racked my mind.  I felt angry, abandoned, deceived, betrayed, and, most frighteningly, cut off from God.

Into this chaotic and befuddled state, the light of Jesus Christ began to penetrate the darkness, and fragmentary and ever so slowly, I began to walk in the freedom that had eluded me for most of my life.

Thankfully I escaped the clutches of the cultic establishment of Herbert Armstrong before I became so languorously entangles (pg. xxi) within them that I lost the courage to walk away.  This was not the case with many of his followers. Numerous splinter groups of the Worldwide Church of God emerged, beginning even before his death and prodigiously after he passed away.  These groups consist of people who ardently and desperately seep to perpetuate Armstrong’s beliefs.  I am certain that many of these schismatic groups cling to their beliefs, fearful that to abandon them is tantamount to apostasy.  I am equally certain that some of them egotistically nurture the idea that they are the divinely appointed heirs of the truth that grants them the same power and authority that Armstrong enjoyed.

I am under no illusions that my story will bring about change in the beliefs of those who are content to maintain the delusion of their own superiority in the spiritual realm.  Nor will it change the minds of those who happily trudge down the road to deception, doggedly guarding the beliefs to which they have adhered for most of their lives.  A system to which they have ceded so much control over life cannot be a lie.  To acknowledge such requires personal honesty and scrupulous confession that many are unable to muster.

While I know that these people cannot be contrarily convinced, I am nevertheless hopeful that I can embolden some of those who struggle with their position and to begin to make the course corrections that will allow them to experience the true freedom in Jesus Christ.  I have discovered that road and somehow found the courage to renounce former beliefs that held me captive.  I was as entrenched into the etchings of Herbert Armstrong as one could possibly be. It was all I knew. Spurning those beliefs required deep soul searching and complete surrender to God and a generous amount of guidance from the Holy Spirit.

(pg. xxii) My story is an invitation to walk in the shoes of a common ordinary person who has been there and done that when it comes to the cult experience. I will attempt to describe the conditions in my early life that set the stage for my induction into a cult and to tale you with me on a bizarre journey into the depths of oppression, and finally through my escape from such darkness into the light of freedom.  I sincerely hope that through sharing some of my studies on the psychology of cultism and reflections upon grace that enabled me to surrender to it, I can impart some practical information that will serve others on their journey.

I find that many of my friends and peers who traveled this journey with me are afraid to honestly admit to the wrongdoings of this misguided institution.  It seems that inherent in all of us is a need to justify decisions we have made, especially those that have influenced the direction of our lives for years. Perhaps through my coming forth with candidness’, others might be encouraged to also acknowledge (pg. xxiii) the truth.  It is not my intent to vent anger toward those who were instrumental in fashioning my experience, but rather to openly acknowledge the fact that I was deceived.  To that end and with a prayer toward that outcome, I offer my story.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears that the story of the 1971 Stanford Experiment is again retold.

There may be a different set of prisoners.

There may be a different set of guards.

The Warden may change.

But the Guards and the Prisoners are essentially all of the same type. The experiences are the same. The obsession to maintain order in the same kind of rigid rules still reigns absolute to make victims of the prisoners and satisfy the inate blood lust for power, with the highest echelons looking benign over the hypocritical despotism. It's Das Experiment all over again.

What is so disturbing about this particular incarnation of the 1971 Stanford Experiment -- I call it the "Lucifer Project," the transformation of the light to dark evil dredged from within -- is the transformation of the prisoner to a guard and then the attempt to play the rescuer.

It's all disturbing and the more the details come out about the 1971 Stanford Experiment the more horror of it expands to fill the darkness. If you turn to the darkness, you can't see much at first, but as you are immersed in it for awhile, you become accustomed to it until it all becomes clear to you. It is at that point the light is forgotten and the darkness rules.

Allen C. Dexter said...

He's better off, perhaps, but he's still a slave to the lie that he needs "grace" and a "savior." He hasn't fully escaped the madness.

I was there for awhile, but I've moved a world beyond. I've had done with gods and saviors and "inspired" holy books.

Byker Bob said...

If history on our forums and blogs are of any value, statistically speaking, atheists and agnostics are perhaps the most susceptible group to the gospel of grace.

Since 2001, I've only known of two participants on the blogs who became atheists, and then returned to Armstrongism.

Over the same timespan, I know of perhaps two or three participants who went from staunch Armstrongism directly into New Covenant Christianity.

However, there have been perhaps a dozen examples of people who had identified themselves as atheist or agnostic for various periods of time, and then embraced the New Covenant. So, it would appear that non-believers, or disbelievers are the group most receptive to the gospel!

Now, each time there has been such a transformation, in searching for explanations, there was speculation such as, "so and so couldn't have properly understood Atlas Shrugged" or "X was not a regular visitor to atheist websites, and therefore was not familiar enough with the basic principles behind atheism", (as if non-belief were actually a religion!), or "there must have been a breakdown, stressor, or trauma involved".

Decades ago, when I was using magic marker to turn Jesus fish into Darwin fish with legs, and other atheist-activist things, I really could not see any value to belief. But, there have been so many examples over the years where faith has been beneficial and therapeutic to people close to me, that I no longer believe that religion should be eradicated in favor of a Spock-like Star Trek world. The Christians I knew back then really stood out. In most cases, although I often held them in disdain, they had something tangible, something which I wanted too, but wanted to somehow attain it without the belief system which provided it. I really looking forward to running into some of those folks again!

BB

Allen C. Dexter said...

There's a lot of movement back and forth and where one ends up depends on the mindset of the person and how much they need the accoutrements of faith. I certainly went through my periods of flux.

I've found my home in atheism and left wing politics. I jusst discovered a new website, We Are Atheism, and am taking steps to get dynamically involved in it. It will be an important part of my networking.

And Still They Come.... said...

To conquer the cultic[sic] mindset:

Throw away the handkerchief and get some backbone.

Admit that it was your own love of rebellion and the bizarre that led you to give away your decision-making, and then sheeple along with a group that you thought made you cool and more special than the rest. Pride and vanity are at the heart of our cultic mindset.

How many more 'poor, poor thing' diatribes will issue forth before 'conspiracy types' take responsibility for their unwise actions? Not until we grow up emotionally I suppose (when will that be?).

Stop blaming the boogey-men (HWA, GTA, JWT, JWT2) and fix the internal problem of bad judgment.

Grandpa's 'slap upside the head' is the quickest cure for pure stupidity.

Give yourself one and move on.

Happy Theist said...

We DO need a Savior. It is clear from the self-murdering, self-starving, self-satisfying history that we CANNOT do it ourselves. Mythos and faith are based on reality not imagination.

If this intricate and wondrous creation has no Creator, then we're just about done. I hope that the next stage in the evolutionary process (which, judging from mankind's current status, seems to be running backwards in moral terms) will produce something more hopeful this time.

Perhaps the atheist aliens will return to spawn another non-theos 'genesis.'

Continue! Continue! Maybe your alien god is busy and cannot hear you....perhaps he's off hunting....

Anonymous said...

While I still believe that God's laws in the Bible are good, I must admit that many people in the WCG and its splinter groups do not actually obey them. THAT IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM OF ALL.

Even HWA could not refrain from wrong date-setting in God's name. Why would God need anyone to do that? What sort of person would ever do such a thing? What sort of person would not learn from his wrong date-setting in the 1940's and would come up with 1975? And then fall back on 1996? Is it not wrong to make up and tell lies in God's name?

Even GTA was just a sex pervert who finally had to be openly and permanently put out of the WCG by his own father HWA, after HWA had put GTA out privately and temporarily on a few previous occasions. GTA then tried to start his own cult (COGI), but got expelled from it for fooling around some more, and had to start another one (ICG).

The WCG (now GCI) under JWT Sr. & Jr. rejected the Bible's teachings and turned to all the pagan-based teachings of the world's churches, and even to witchcraft and evolution!!! YIKES!!!

Gerald Flurry of the PCG was just a drunken false prophet whose cult is full of old sex perverts. He acts like he was set up by Satan to destroy anyone who tried to hold on to the truth. He does his own pure evil in the name of God and HWA to try to make them both look bad. He bought the copyrights to some of HWA's writings, but rather than accurately reproducing them, he then began to edit and change them to make them conform to his own warped new teachings.

Rod Meredith of the GCG (now LCG), after about 50 years of saying things will start to happen in the next 3 to 5 years, now says it could be another 15 to 20 years. After waiting so long, the end just keeps on getting farther away. Rod believes some of HWA's teachings from the past but rejects some of the newer stuff HWA came up with in his later years.

Even the UCG, which tried to market itself as more sensible and decent, is full of old perverts and chronic liars. A good hint from the start about what it was really like occurred when it tried to pass off the behavior of an old sex pervert as just "showing grandfatherly affection" while kicking out the entire extended family of the victim. The UCG was set up to appeal to unrepentant unbelievers who wanted to behave badly in church. No wonder the UCG recently split in half. Some people claim that what is left of the UCG will now be taken back into the world by the same leaders in it that previously helped JWT to destroy the WCG in the past.

Those who continue to search for the one true splinter group might come upon David Pack of the RCG. Being noted for a lack of control in the temper department, he flew into a rage and started shouting at his followers to sell their houses, cash out their retirement savings plans, and send everything to him. Many come in the front door of his group, and just about as many go out the back door--much poorer for the experience. No wonder he never tells actual membership numbers, just endless deceitful and misleading statistics designed to fool people. David sees a need to build yet another auditorium to try to "prove" that his is the one true splinter group.

One might believe in God, and that seems right and good. The problem is that all these characters who come in His name ultimately seem to do nothing but evil. As one possibly (and understandably) bitter person once said, "They lied to us and they took our money." I don't think I will try to argue with that one tonight.

NO, NOT ONE said...

Someone said, "While I still believe that God's laws in the Bible are good, I must admit that many people in the WCG and its splinter groups do not actually obey them. THAT IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM OF ALL."

NONE of US obeys them, repeat, NONE of US. We are pardoned and saved by FAITH...and because of that faith we STRIVE to obey them.