PCG Ministry and the Cookie Comment
A personal account by Dan Moffett
Sometimes a small incident reveals why an organization feels controlling. For me, one of those incidents involved a few dozen cookies.
A couple of years after my wife died, I decided to take my two boys on a little vacation. The Southeastern region of the Philadelphia Church of God was holding a Fourth of July family campout, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to get away together.
After I signed up, the event coordinator emailed me a list of things to bring. One request was for a few dozen cookies.
I had recently lost a considerable amount of weight and had been dealing with health problems. With those concerns in mind, I suggested that cookies might not be the healthiest contribution and asked whether I could bring something else.
It seemed like a simple question about food for a family outing.
A few days later, however, I received a telephone call from my local minister, Aaron Eagle. As I remember the conversation, he told me not to bring up the cookie issue again.
I was shocked. How had a question about bringing a healthier alternative become something requiring a minister’s warning?
If the event coordinator objected to my suggestion, he could have answered me directly. He could have explained the menu or simply said that cookies were what they needed. Instead, my understanding is that the matter traveled through the following chain:
- The event coordinator contacted his local minister.
- That minister contacted Craig Winters, the Southeastern regional director.
- Craig Winters contacted Cal Culpepper, the Northeastern regional director.
- Cal Culpepper contacted Aaron Eagle, my local minister.
- Aaron Eagle then called me and told me not to raise the matter again.
I was not present for those other conversations; this is my understanding of how the matter reached my minister. What I experienced directly was the email exchange and the subsequent warning from Aaron Eagle.
By that account, two ministers and two regional directors became involved over a comment about cookies.
What troubled me was the disproportionate response. I had asked whether I could contribute something healthier. Yet the response left me feeling that even an ordinary question could become a matter of ministerial scrutiny.
I had wanted a little vacation with my boys after losing their mother. Instead, this incident became another reason I felt controlled within the PCG.
To me, it illustrated an atmosphere in which a member could be made to feel that asking a reasonable question was stepping out of line.
Today, I am grateful to be free from that atmosphere. I can make ordinary decisions about my health, my family, and what I bring to a picnic without fearing a telephone call from a minister.
A question about cookies should have been answered with a conversation—not escalated into a warning.
7 comments:
Sad story Dan. I remember one, in my area, who left wwcog for pcog claim they had the two witnesses. And just didn’t want to mix with us heathens back here at wwcog. Glad you are out of that stranglehold called pcog. Pcog is disintegrating slowly but surely, yahoo! I sometimes wonder what happened to the folk I once knew who left for pcog, if they are still there or have escaped from its embrace. I hope they really are free from the Armstrong movement in all its forms. Keep smiling in the meanwhile. Cheers.
How can anyone afford a vacation after paying tithes? I have not had a vacation in 40 years.
If those so-called ministers didn't deserve the double bird for that, I don't know who or what doesn't! Thing is, they wouldn't think that was very converted. Their no negotiation stance makes reasonable discussion impossible.
Phucque them!
What you describe isn’t just an odd episode it’s exactly how Armstrong‑derived systems always operate. In that environment, leaders look for opportunities to assert authority, even over trivial matters, and members are trained to accept scrutiny as normal.
Turning a comment about cookies into a minister’s warning is not a misunderstanding; it’s a symptom of a system that routinely belittles believers and treats ordinary decisions as potential rebellion. No healthy church behaves this way.
Jesus warned, “By their fruits you will know them.” And the fruit here is unmistakable: control, fear, and the policing of harmless choices.
The Great Cookie Crisis of the PCG.
This song is based on a TRUE STORY of how SICK and controlling the
Philadelphia Church of God (PCG) is and what the poor deceived people under their control have to endure.
Which version do you like best?
https://rumble.com/shorts/v7gcw30
Or
https://rumble.com/shorts/v7gcm6w
Micromanagement taken to the 9th degree!
Yes first time I had a 2 week holiday in about 10 years was this past PO and first time on a plane in 7!
Post a Comment