Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dennis On: "Oh Me of Little Faith" James 5



James 5
14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
 
Dennis Diehl - EzineArticles Expert AuthorOk, let's get right to it.  While this teaching, so plainly stated and seemingly unambiguous is not directly that of Jesus, it is by James and includes Jesus name as the talisman that brings results.  One can proof text themselves all over the Bible from Genesis to Revelation to find what one thinks this REALLY means, or how it REALLY is to be understood, or how one REALLY is to understand it, but I am taking each questionable teaching in it's given context without all the apologetics that get hunted down to explain why this teaching will work if properly understood.
 
I think it goes without saying the misery and heartache this simple teaching has caused sincere Bible reading Christians all over the planet and in all ages since it was uttered is without parallel.  All humans get sick and sickness leads to death at times.  We will all die for lack of breath at some point and as we have seen in past postings, God evidently knows and has planned the hour of our deaths anyway.  So I suppose I even question why we would ask for healing since if it is time, it is time.  If it is not time, then I will get better anyway right?
 
 Sometimes I think one author in the Bible is oblivious to what other authors say and can't match their teachings into one coherent teaching.  I guess that's why we proof-text until we find the answer we need for ourselves and can say, "the Bible tells me so."
 
As well, I know how tempting it is to blast WCG or any church that teaches divine healing, anointing and prayer as per James 5:14-16.  I know the horror stories. But we need to back up a bit and realize it is the BIBLE , the APOSTLES and the EARLY CHURCH that teaches this.  We are just reading it as the inspired word of God, so to speak, and trying to figure out how to apply it and what it means.  Does it mean get anointed, trust God, avoid medical care because it is either or and cannot be both, or what? 
 
Does our standing with God depend on our faith in such matters?  What does this scripture expect Christians to really do and not do?  And since we KNOW in our heart of hearts that the implication of this is IF you do A the B will happen.  When it doesn't, then we agonize over the reasons listed in an earlier posting as to why God did not answer our prayer.  No matter...it is OUR fault and never the fault of the Deity.  He wanted to help but we just didn't hold our mouths right when we asked or something so the answer is no.  
 
Also, I am pleased for those who can feel or know that God healed them of this or that.  A minister distracted me once with a job offer that caused me to miss a flight from LA to Boise Idaho. The plane I missed was hit by a fighter Jet and all died.  Luck?  "Intervention?"  I don't know, but it sure was a cruel joke to save me to go through the rest of the WCG minister experience. 
 
 Anyone who gets better after asking for healing is not going to dare not to credit the prayer of faith and such with the healing.  We are happy for you.  You can't prove to us you did not luck out or get better anyway.  After all, most don't die anyway each time they get "sick."   I was often asked to anoint for colds and such which of course I did but didn't want to.  I never got anointed for a common cold.  You know the cycle.  I would only get anointed if I felt my sickness could really get out of hand and after all, I was young and did want to live!  I'm still here. 
 
The faithful tend to die in such times and stinkers live forever...
 
 I had a ministerial assistant once, who announced to the Church during a sermonette that he would either anoint you for sickness OR visit you in the hospital but not both.  I made him take it back and told him he'd be doing both if he was going to work with me. If not, we could arrange for him to work elsewhere.  I always did both and sent many a person to his doc, ER or Hospital for help that was readily available.  I guess my Presbyterian background saved me from some of the more profoundly stupid mistakes others made having grown up in a much smaller theological box as they must have.  
 
However, my point is and what I want to point out is not "how could we be so stupid as to believe Armstrong on this issue," etc...but recognize that it is a very bad teaching of the Bible itself.  It leaves little to interpretation really even though many denominations teach it every way from being a nice idea and quaint to absolute Bible truth that God will judge your faith over.  But it is in the Book.  It is not a confusing statement.  It seems to say what it says and mean what it means.  James does not tell us if that is all we do or just a part of doing all else we can do.   
 
So, to me, and having seen the hurt, fear and shock this teaching not being so as stated has caused, I vote this a bad teaching.  By its fruits I believe we can know it...
 

Dennis C. Diehl
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now, Dennis, there's a qualification here: Call the elders of the church.

You and I know that the elders are sick with mental disorders and by no stretch of the imagination with their delusions about various things we have discussed before and won't go back over here, could they even be of God, let alone elders in His Church.

And for the life of me, I don't know any elders of the church who are of God to anoint the elders of the church who aren't, so they can be healed of their mental disorders, let alone any physical trauma. Without that, it is useless to use sick elders with mental disorders (like narcissism) to anoint anyone who is really sick and have any expectations of having anything good from it, if you get my drift.

DennisCDiehl said...

I understand what you are saying, however, I am not trying to say that if we get true elders over false, this would be good advice. This is terrible advice for sick humans in any church, true, false or indifferent.

I know of know honest church or ministry that boasts we get results on James 5:14. I have seen many suffer under this illusion of "if you do this...you will be healed." Believe me, I have seen this applied in ways that would make one's head spin, as have many others.

It simply doesn't work anymore than, "ask anything you wish and I will give it to you," does.

It works as well as, "Is any sick among you, let him tap three times on his skull, three times on his temple and three times under his nose, and the tapping of faith will heal the sick and he shall be made well," would.

Anonymous said...

Dennis,

I am being especially facetious these days.

There are so many cases where senior ministers anointed people and they were dead in 24 hours.

I advocate more sensible and rational approaches to medical challenges, in the main.

Be it according to your faith. I have NONE when it comes to Armstrongists.

Allen C. Dexter said...

You've again shown the unreliability of the Bible.

How many years I prayed my heart out and the promises just weren't kept. Of course, it had to be my fault, etc. The "book" couldn't be wrong. So, I walked around feeling a nagging guilt that I wasn't faithful enough, etc.

My dear little wife would have long ago been among the deceased if we had been following what I used to blindly follow. Thanks to four stents in her heart arteries and a handful of chemical pills every day, she's doing fine and is actually in better shape than a few years ago.

I lucked out in the gene lottery.
I eat anything I like and have dream cholesterol levels. Enough of my acestors came from areas of the world where the population was genetically selected out for a high meat and dairy product diet.

Natural selection is the answer to my good fortune and her grossly unfair situation. No creator had a say in it, and no creator is coming around and lovingly changing it either. If someone is set up for heart clogging elements, they're SOL and have to constantly be on guard.

Anonymous said...

Being healed of all that cann afflict us along the path is a hot topic, especially when it comes to these verses and just how to apply them if one feel compelled to do so.

Studies have "shown" that prayer is effective in healing, but others say this is just not so and have their own studies to back it up.


The most simple test is to simply call for the elders of your church (finding THE Church is too much of a chore and one never quite does) and be annointed. If you get better and the prayer of faith saves the sick, there's the proof for that person only. One cannot be inspired by the success of others when your experience has not been so. God may be no respector of persons but in fact it seems he is, and often.

Having sat thru sermons where the minister is crowing about a specific healing, so as to inpire, when I am sitting in a room of people hurting and not healed of their life threatening diseases is a bit too much. It is inconsiderate and cruel.

M.T.Oliveoil

Allen C. Dexter said...

"Having sat thru sermons where the minister is crowing about a specific healing, so as to inpire, when I am sitting in a room of people hurting and not healed of their life threatening diseases is a bit too much. It is inconsiderate and cruel."

Yes, it is. Either "god" is a cruel trickster and favorite respecter, or there is some other explanation for healings.

Positive thinking. Natural randomness. Mind over matter. Etc.

Superstitiously minded people see miracles everywhere. Images on toast. The changing of a storms destructive path. Seeminly miraculous deliverance from an accident. The list could go on and on.

I'm reminded of one scripture which is just a common reflection of the vagaries of existence and could have just as eaily been included in Poor Richard"s Almanac. Time and chance does happen to us all. How we interpret that time and chance is up to us.

Reality said...

"Time and chance does happen to us all. How we interpret that time and chance is up to us."

As I recall, the way most of us in the WCGdom translated this small verse was, "Time and chance happens to THEM all."

So that our lives were directed by God, but all those evil folk outside GOD'S church were subject to time and chance.