Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dennis On: Oh Me Of Little Faith: Of Man and Mustard Seeds




Of Man and Mustard Seeds
 
Dennis Diehl - EzineArticles Expert AuthorLet's imagine that Jesus truly is God. What might he have done to prove it? He could have started by taking one of his most famous quotes from the Bible and acting on it. In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says quite clearly: 

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

I would think it only fair that if someone is going to tell others just how easy this would be IF one had the SMALLEST of faith, Jesus , who tells us this himself, should at least be able to demonstrate how it is done.  I mean, let me see YOU do it....Wow!!!!  It is possible !!!!  I believe you now!  Oh me of little faith...Well actually, even if I had a little faith, I could at least do that!  "

So Jesus takes up the challenge simply to show his disciples and all who read his words in the future and struggle over their puny faith, that indeed, this is possible.   Jesus selects Mt Tabor where he had previously met with Moses, Elijah Peter and a couple others to show the transfiguration.  With just a bit of faith, Jesus will demonstrate mountain moving.  He will say..."Mt Tabor, in my smallest of genuine faith I command you to leave this location and relocate to the empty spot left by the Santorini Volcanic blast, in Greece, many years ago.  You will be a nice addition to the landscape and the locals will appreciate getting their mountain back." 

 Poof!!!!!  Gone!!!.  In the place of Mt. Tabor is a large flat space that will now make a lovely site for a scenic housing project overlooking the Jezreel Valley.  If the Greeks measure the base of the new mountain now sitting in the crater left by the Volcano, it will exactly match the base of Mt. Tabor and scientific analysis will confirm the make up of the Mt as being of Middle Eastern origin. 

And Jesus will have proven that at least he has even the smallest of living faith that can indeed transform mountains from one place to another.  Now, if he doesn't do it, or if he can't do it, or if he refuses to show he can do it, but doesn't want to do it because it would come across as "some cheap trick,"   then please don't ask me to do it or feel bad that my faith in life is not even the size of a grain of mustard seed.  That makes me feel inadequate and bad about myself!  As a teacher, I try my best NOT to ask or expect my students to do things or know how to do things that I don't know or know how to do myself.  That just seems wrong.  Not that I could always do the things I thought we all should do but at least when I realized I couldn't, I admitted it. Ok...I eventually admitted it! 



I think we know that Jesus never moved any mountains in his year long, or three year long, depending on which Gospel you read, ministry.   So I would consider this a bad teaching.  No one, not even the one who taught it was possible, has ever actually done it.  It is a meaningless teaching and causes only personal pain and feelings of hopeless loss and inadequate faith.  I wonder if anyone ever quietly, when alone in the mountains, commanded one to move somewhere and it didn't of course, and then just walked away with a big sigh of , "oh well?"   I bet they have...

Therefore, if you have issues with your faith.  If you feel badly that you have never been able to do this or when your child died, or your partner was killed or had cancer, or when you were low on funds and all the tithing in the world did not open the windows of heaven for you...relax.  You did not lack faith.  Your faith was not smaller than even a mustard seed so that's why you did not get your answer.  If your mountain never moved, well we have to say, it is ok.  It did not move for Jesus either.   



Dennis C. Diehl


8 comments:

Speechless said...

*head shaking*

Anonymous said...

One year ministry

Oh, do tell.

DennisCDiehl said...

Yes, one year, depending on which Gospel you read. M/M/L have one Passover year and John has 3. Can't be both.

Anonymous said...

Depending on how one reads the Gospels, and tries to tie it living characters in the text,the ministry could be 1-10 years, with most opting for the more chronological Gospels being one. Seems kinda short. Jesus is thought to have been between 31 and 42 when he died. Again, depends how you calculate from the texts and if one gets it right.

He is told once, "You are not yet 50 years old and have seen Abraham.." etc. This would indicate he died in his 40's I'd think.

Jesus place in history has always been debateable for sure as are many topics associated with the NT who's who and when.

Retired Prof said...

Heck, even the pious governor of Texas, joined by hordes of his disciples, cannot persuade their god to make it rain. First the crops dried up, and now forests and houses are burning.

Can it be that the doubts of skeptical Texans who stayed home are jamming the spiritual airwaves? Or is there really no one listening?

Anonymous said...

While they may be praying for rain, you have Armstrongites praying that God will "spank" Texas even more so that they wake up and follow Rod Meredith. Armsrongites love this kind of death and destruction. It validates in their eyes their mentally disturbed leaders teachings.

Allen C. Dexter said...

Extremist approaches have been around as long as religious delusion has existed. It leads to all kinds of abuses and that in turn leads to mental quirks and illnesses.

I've long suspected that Herb's imbalance traced back to childhood abuse. The Quakers are just as imbalanced as any number of other sects.

I also suspect that Armstrong was not deluded like me and his other ardent followers. Especially toward the end of his life, I think he knew it was a farce and didn't care. He had what he always wanted.

Allen C. Dexter said...

Ooops. That last comment was meant for the piece below. Sorry.