Sunday, May 22, 2011

Philadelphia Church of God Summer Camp Horrors



Summer camps should be a time of fun and learning for kids.  It's the first chance for many to be away from home and be alone with their peers.  It can create life time friendships.

However, there are Church of God summer camps where theological indoctrination is trumpeted out as truth.  The worst of these cult camps is Philadelphia Church of God's summer camps.  Imagine having your kinds indoctrinated at summer camp chanting all summer:
"Next year at the Rock, Next year at the Rock, Next year at the Rock." (referring to Petra)  That kind of deviate behavior is just as sick as Harold Camping's lies.


I am reposting the following blog comments from Michael Maynard concerning how his kids were treated at a Philadelphia Church of God Summer Camp.  This is the kind of BS that Gerald Flurry and his cult are indoctrinating kids with and how they are being treated.

Some people never check out the comments sections of posts, and this deserves wider viewing.


I had first hand experience with the utter incompetence at the PCG summer camp in Guthrie, OK in 1996 when my son and daughter attended. When we arrived there a day or two before the camp ended we visited with the campers and staff and spoke to Gerald Flurry at length. We were appalled at what we found. My daughter had second degree sun burns covering on her face her lips were seared and infected from being forced to play sports activities for many hours in the scorching sun without being offered any sun screen. My daughters knees had been damaged from these same marathon sports activities. They were treated like they were seasoned atheletes and run into the dirt. My daughter had pain from her injuries form many years after that. She related how they were all forced to go mountain biking in very steep hill country around dangerous boulders and cliffs. At one point they were forced to ride down an extremely steep hill which terrified my daughter who grew up in Florida and never rode on any hills. One of the girls lost control of her bike during this part of the ride and body slammed a huge bolder at a high rate of speed. It was a wonder she was not killed. My daughter said she had a bruise that covered nearly her entire side.
My son's ankles were both so badly sprained that he could barley walk from this marathon of sports. They still wanted him to play in the final softball tournament without any medical attention. We forbade it and made him sit it out. If we had not arrived when we did no telling how bad his injuries could have been. When we first arrived at the beginning of the camp to drop our children off my wife and I were shocked and my daughter very embarrassed at the first sight we observed. Dennis Leap, the camp coordinator, came riding up on his mountain bike next to where we were unloading or children's gear. He was wearing spandex riding shorts that are skin tight. He was carrying a little extra weight so to start with the sight was bad enough, but what was worse was his "package" and you know what I mean, looked like he was very happy to see someone. To be kind it was repugnant, to be honest it was just LEWD. My wife and daughter spun around away from him while he was greeting them and froze wide eyed staring at me. After he left my wife and I had a private discussion out of our children's ear shot and actually had reservations. I had a strong feeling, which I wished I had heeded, not to leave them there for the camp. But we talked ourselves into leaving them because we knew how much both of them were looking forward to this and many of their friends were there. We found out also that the monitor that was in my sons dorm was an immature boy who had no control over his dorm. There were vicious hazings and my son fell off a porch roof and could have been injured though he just had minor scrapes. It took many months before my son could walk without pain in his ankles. My daughter still has slight scars on her face from the severe sunburn she suffered. But that was not the end of it. When we were loading my son and daughters gear into our motor coach for the return trip to Florida all of the campers were crying, hugging, saying their good byes, and all saying something like a slogan they learned from camp. I couldn't quite make it out so I slid a window open to hear better. I usually don't write this kind of vocabulary, so forgive me if you are offend, I apolgize in advance...BUT I was PISSED when I realized what the slogan was...PISSED! "Next year at the Rock, Next year at the Rock, Next year at the Rock." was what they were chanting as they said their good byes. Those worthless BASTARDS had used the two week camp to indoctrinate and brainwash our children into Gerald Flurry's insane prophecies about FLEEING TO PETRA. And told them there would not be a camp next year because they would all be together in PETRA. That is when I fully realized what a 'BOWL OF SPIDERS" the PCG was. When we got back to Florida I started my exit strategy and did not send another dime to them, and I was a rather large contributor. I know they saw that right away and that was a large part of why I was disfellowshiped so rapidly by the regional pastor that I wrote about earlier. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law are still in that group, just as blind as they can be. At least I only wasted two years there. Michael
Michael's TTDOCF Blog

19 comments:

James said...

Speaking of Dennis Leap we read "He was wearing spandex riding shorts that are skin tight. He was carrying a little extra weight so to start with the sight was bad enough, but what was worse was his "package" and you know what I mean, looked like he was very happy to see someone."

Like this Michael?

DennisCDiehl said...

Michael, I am so sorry you had to endure that with your children. Thanks for posting this. It helps me understand your own background.

I would have torn that camp to shreds had Flurry put my kids through that.

Michael D. Maynard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dennis Leap wearing spandex riding shorts is not surprising. Looking like he was happy to see someone is not surprising either. The PCG has always been full of dirty old men and horny old hags. Have you not ever before seen one of these cults that Satan started?

DennisCDiehl said...

At least let me say that I deeply realize we all, having been through different experiences in the same thing that sent us all off in different directions to recover, are entitled to our experience.

I filter mine my way and everyone else their way. There can't be just one way to experience theological drama and disappointment in people, places, beliefs and the simple fact that as we grow older, if we are any kind of seeker or student, we see and learn new things we wish had known earlier.

I honor all of our/your experiences. I am sorry we had them. Or who is to say? What's good can so often be so bad for us and what is "bad" can work out eventually for our good.

If that had not happened, then that could not have happened, then this could not be...etc.

I don't have the answers. I have questions and never getting the right answer is ok too.

Namaste, (Look it up :)

Lake of Fire Church of God said...

Anonymous said, "The PCG has always been full of dirty old men and horny old hags."

MY COMMENT - Let's not forget the PCG is a splinter of the WCG where Gawd's end time witness and warning public face, Garner Ted Armstrong, was busy bonking every young Ambassador College coed he could get his hands on when he wasn't too busy proclaiming on radio and television about the moral decline of America.

And we wonder why in the last days there will be scoffers.

Richard

Jace said...

Like Mr. Maynards two kids, I also attended the Philadelphia Church of God youth camp (PYC) - a total of three times. I can attest to much of what he says here.

On the subject of dorm "hazings": for my part, I only had a negative experience the first year. I was the youngest guy in my dorm and took more than my share of shit. Truth be told, I've always been something of a smart ass so I probably brought some of it on myself anyway by mouthing off, but there was a point where I'd had enough and just took off on my own (which was a big no-no). I can still remember the story another camper told me years later: He sees me walking out of the woods towards the main pavilion, white-knuckling a stick with "the most angry look he'd ever seen on my face" or something to that effect. The stick had been used to fend off about 3-4 guys, all a couple of years older than me, who were relentlessly whacking me with wet towels (which lemme tell you, hurts like hell). obviously worse things have happened in the history of summer-camps (in general) but that's about the closest thing to a hazing I endured, and only that first year. I think I was more disillusioned by that than hurt, in the sense that I'd had this absurd notion in my head that we were all one big family, and bullying of that nature was an outside concept, for people back in "the world". Not so, sadly.

In terms of indoctrination, Mr. Maynard hit the nail on the head. I don’t remember any chants during my years there - other than stupid songs we sang while marching (or more often, running) to and from activities - but we were always hearing how there "probably wouldn’t be a camp next year" and how "Satan was attacking us young people" along with ridiculous stories about other church kids who had left (the church) and had all these life problems as a result. I distinctly remember a story about this young woman who left, got pregnant, had drug problems, her life fell apart and she just wanted to come back. She was so sorry for leaving, blah blah blah. Presumably they learned this story from her while counseling with her to come back, I'm sure she'd love to know her life experience was simply an indoctrination tool for them to use. It worked on me for sure, I was determined in my mind to never leave the fold, to never let "Satan win". After all, I had to make it to Petra with my folks, I didn’t want to be left behind or anything. But more than that, I think they made us so scared and biased towards anything that went against their doctrines that it would be almost impossible for us to be objective towards any mindset that wasn’t their own. As if everything else was wrong, and even so much as considering another viewpoint was simply Satan at work on our minds. I ate it right up. Hook. Line. Sinker.

(continued)

Jace said...

...Now as for strenuous physical activity, that most definitely took place. Like I mentioned earlier, we were marched all over the camp. Most of the time, we actually ran. It was structured very much like boot camp in a sense. There were many activities each day, spread all over a huge stretch of land. We were always kept to a strict schedule, adherence to that schedule was of great importance. Often times we'd have ministry waiting for us at these activities, so the dorm counselors weren't about to look bad by being so much as a minute late hence the running. Sunscreen was not provided, though I’m pretty sure it wasn’t frowned upon if you'd brought your own. I got the impression that previous camp sessions had encountered some issues with heatstroke and so by the time my first session came around, they were constantly hammering us to “drink, drink, drink” every chance we got – and for good reason – those Oklahoma summers were real scorchers. Considering that I'd lived in Florida my entire life, the state that invented the scorcher, is really saying something. Activities were mandatory. There was no sitting out unless you were sick or injured and that means badly injured, sprained limb or a broken bone. Everybody had to participate. Now for many guys at PYC, this level of activity was simply par for the course. The ministers in charge, specifically Steven Flurry,Wayne Turgeon and Dennis leap were all physically active guys (though you wouldn’t think so, looking at Leap). There was very much a macho mentality permeating the air at camp. Guys were expected to just suck it up and do everything, complain about nothing. It didn’t matter if you were a natural athlete or if you weren’t, the expectation was the same. One of the themes during one session I attended was “men of steel and velvet”. That phrase stemmed from a Steven Flurry sermon and the punchline was pretty much: “Be a masculine hard-ass on the inside, but all cultured on the outside”. That pretty much runs in line with the rest of Armstrongism. Men should be men, women should be women, both bound to the preconceived notion of what “real men” and “real ladies” are. It's all very similar to Hitler's “Ideal German” concept in the 30's, really – sans the blonde and blue. So I think they ran that camp with the same mentality. God forbid you were perceived as weak or effeminate in any way, you were almost guaranteed a miserable 2 weeks. Needless to say, there were some guys there that I felt really, really sorry for. At the end of my first session, when I deplaned at Tampa International Airport, my mom didn't recognize me. I walked up to her and she was still looking at the gate, waiting for me to come up. She was totally startled when I waved in her face. I'd lost so much weight and was several shades darker so she literally didn’t even think it was me and said as much. Take from that what you will.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there. It wasn’t all bad, I learned a thing or two about public speaking and most definitely about overcoming fear (on the biking trail) but if I had it to do over again, I'd have been better off not going. Live and learn, eh?

Michael D. Maynard said...

I look at my life experiences maybe a litle more optimistically than some. By that I have found valuable lessons in nearly every part of my life experiences. No matter how bad or how good I always try to see if there is something I can learn from what I am going through during the experience to use in the future to make me better or wiser or maybe just not make the same stupid mistakes twice, or thrice, or....

Many have truly been damaged by their WCG experiences, and yes I have too. But one thing I have learned, which I know some readers will dismiss, but for me I was really glad to have been a self righteous, presumptuous, arrogant, legalistic, pseudo-judaizer...like Paul was depicted as having been (yeah dd I know you think I still am, but I was actually worse) but now having come to understand what extreme love the Father has for us and what Grace is (yeah PR and AD I know this really galls you guys too) but I felt like I have been miraculously healed from some fatal disease and a huge burden is lifted after escaping the "mutilation."

The contrast from the way I thought, lived, acted before and now, may not be so apparent to the casual observer but inside I am in a reality of peace and harmony that I never experienced before.

I have always been an eternal optimist so I try to find what is good in every situation and surprisingly I usually can. The problem with the PCG camp was there was no balance and application of common sense in many way too many cases.

The good thing I found in the PCG summer camp episode is that I will never again have to see Leep's Peeps, take that anyway you want:<)

Sorry about that.

Michaelt

Michael D. Maynard said...

Hey James, I missed that link...EEEEWWWW.

Yeah kinda but that cubed. LOL.

Michael

Michael D. Maynard said...

Jace,

You were there the same year I am referring to. Lenisa flew out with you and a few others and Joe rode with us in the Motor coach.

Memories.

Anonymous said...

"...but for me I was really glad to have been a self righteous, presumptuous, arrogant, legalistic, pseudo-judaizer...like Paul was depicted as having been (yeah dd I know you think I still am, but I was actually worse) but now having come to understand what extreme love the Father has for us and what Grace is (yeah PR and AD I know this really galls you guys too) but I felt like I have been miraculously healed from some fatal disease and a huge burden is lifted after escaping the "mutilation.""

Ironic. I was too the exact same way, and I too am glad that I was. It's an incredible teaching experience to be able to look back on yourself in the past, and cringe with embarrassment and revulsion at what you see. It's disturbing when one finds out just how idiotic and moronically arrogant one can be, especially in light of the fact that I had no evidence whatsoever to support the ground upon which I so smugly stood.

But where we differ is that the burden lifted from me by simply recognizing that I was wrong; I was "healed" by acknowledging my wrongdoing and promising myself never to repeat it. A lot of that has to do with realizing that I can be very, very, wrong. This is why I have such a love of "true things." This is why I am careful in areas where I have limited knowledge. I am careful not to make a stand on ground that I have no idea even exists or not.

So- I am glad that you learn from the same experience I had (we were awful, awful people, weren't we?) but that you can change and grow all without your particular deity. Or any for that matter.

Paul Ray

I am most ashamed of arrogantly and smugly informing my platoon sgt and commander that I would no longer work on the Sabbath. I was so deluded, and so very very sure of myself.

Jace said...

@ Mike:
"Jace,

You were there the same year I am referring to. Lenisa flew out with you and a few others and Joe rode with us in the Motor coach.

Memories."

Yes, Memories. And apparently, mine is bad lol. I remember the last day, I remember getting ready for the flight back. I even think I remember your RV there (parked next to the Pavillion?) but I simply do not recall people chanting about Petra lol. May have happened after I left for the airport?

@ Paul Ray:

Agreed 100% with everything you just said. Oh and:

"I am most ashamed of arrogantly and smugly informing my platoon sgt and commander that I would no longer work on the Sabbath. "

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation lol.

Anonymous said...

I did not remember Dennis Leap so I looked him up on Google. That is one creepy looking dude!

Anonymous said...

"I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation lol."

Wasn't much to it. I was wrapped in Godly Righteousness so even if they had started something, it wouldn't have deterred me. They sent me to the chaplain, where I smugly and arrogantly informed him that the Ten Commandments weren't the "Ten Suggestions." They soon shifted me to a desk job, which was what I had wanted ever since leaving Basic. In fact, this is proof that the Armstrong God is the Living God! I "stood up for the Sabbath and God's Law" and was rewarded! Time to go dig up those booklets and get to "studying" the bible!

Paul Ray

Michael D. Maynard said...

"Time to go dig up those booklets and get to "studying" the bible!"



PR: Positive direction, I like it!

Anonymous said...

"PR: Positive direction, I like it!"

I think I'll re-educate myself first with GTA's booklet on grace and law! I have a lot to unlearn! It's time for the book of Romans to become confusing again! Time to remember how to read the Bible while simultaneously repeating to myself, "...and what did GTA say this meant again? Oh, yeah. Phew. Now it makes sense!"

Paul Ray

Michael D. Maynard said...

"I have a lot to unlearn!"

Don't we all PR, don't we all!

Unknown said...

I had a very similar experience as well. I was forced to play goalie in 108 degree heat and got body slammed by a very large girl about 3 times my size. I was knocked down so hard it forced my hips out of place and I couldn't stand at all. Instead of seeking medical help or even calling my parents they put me on bed rest, anointed me and forced a 24 hour fast. I was then forced to attend the next day's bible study and in his "message" about the dangers of vanity Mr. Leap made an example out of me that "some people here have even faked back injuries in order to get attention" and stared right at me. My grandparents rushed me to a doctor the day they came to pick me up and I found out my entire spine had been pushed up because of the impact and the lack of medical attention afterwards. I deal with constant pain now and I will for the rest of my life. I honestly believe indoctrination of children is absolute child abuse!