Saturday, October 29, 2022

Ex-RCG Member John Wilson: To My Regret, But RCG's Shame

 



John Wilson: To My Regret, But RCG's Shame

 

 

I was in The Restored Church of God splinter, and yes, it's a splinter, too. I had what I call a "crisis of conscience" in 2008, which I won't go into. Anyway, it caused me to turn to the Church of God community for meaning.

 

I first turned to the Living Church of God but never attended a congregation. For some unexplained reason, I was disinvited by the Milwaukee minister. This was in the spring of 2009. So, I turned to RCG because they reminded me of the old Worldwide Church of God with the amount of literature available and the preaching of the gospel. I began attending in May 2009, believing it was the "true church," which I no longer now believe as no one can lock God into a physical organization.

 

I believed that I had found my "home" in RCG. As I used to put it, “Being there was like having a sunny, clear blue sky overhead.” In other words, it was "perfect.” And it was this way for years and years. Then, the "The Greatest Untold Story!” series began in November 2015. “Wow, that was amazing,” is what we all thought. Especially as it lasted longer than the “1,335 Days of the Son of Man” Series of eight parts in 2011. And at the time, learning about prophecy reinforced my belief that it was the "true church" and that David C. Pack was an apostle. How could one not? It was thrilling to learn that we were “so close to the end" as God revealed so much.

 

Then March 2019 rolled around. And DCP stated that Christ would return during the night. It caused me doubts. Why? Simple reason: What did Jesus say (the name Jesus seems to be a name the COGs fear to utter, as they all say Christ instead)? “No one knows the day or hour," and “no one knows the times or seasons.” That was enough for me. No human can possibly know, not now nor ever. It's simply impossible. To quote David C. Pack, "...just believe the verse." But I, too, fell into thinking the church could know the year or month, as DCP taught. Talk about being literal!

 

This is known inside The Restored Church of God as “The Night Watch.” Members of the church across the globe were instructed to stay up all night waiting for Jesus Christ to return. The exact hour was unknown, but we could not be found physically asleep like the foolish virgins in the Matthew 25 parable. DCP speculated that angels on chariots would take members to a gathering place, most likely, to the RCG Headquarters campus in Wadsworth, Ohio. It would then “make plain” the reason for the Campus being built.

 

So while brethren were in their suits and dresses staying up all night, I was blissfully asleep. And, of course, it didn't happen.

 

DCP started setting dates regularly after that. He was fixated with it. We went through every calendar month, whether Jewish or Roman, every holy day season, and every equinox and solstice.

 

I probably would have stayed if he had dropped it in 2019 or 2020. Then, more date settings came during the Feast of Tabernacles in 2019, but this time he spoke about us not going home because the kingdom would arrive before we went home.

 

I didn't believe it. I relied on Jesus's words in Matthew 24:36, Mark 13:32, and Acts 1:7. I also don't believe in church eras and that we are in the end times. Acts 1:7 proves it. So, why the Olivet prophecies? I don't know, but wars, famines, diseases, and earthquakes have existed for millennia. That doesn't prove a thing.

 

So, 2020 came around, and "The Greatest Untold Story!" was going on and on and on, even though DCP periodically stated, "I have no more to give." Until he did. Then the Series just became boring, and the church became prophecy-focused. Obsessively so. More and more, DCP gave a new date and never apologized. So much for humility.

 

When the weekly Sabbath services came around, some brethren were very heartbroken. I went through that a time or two because I really wanted to believe that Jesus was returning. Terrible heartbreak from genuine people who just wanted their Savior and God to return so we could be with them forever and help the world. Who wouldn't? Anyone could see it on the brethren's faces. They were crushed!

 

At one point, I asked our local minister to say something to our congregation because people were a dragging anchor with emotional turmoil. Here is the reaction I received: a shrug of the shoulders and an "Oh well, the apostles got it wrong. Daniel got it wrong. Mr. Armstrong got it wrong, too." That was it. Parroting what Pack himself stated more than once.

 

Oh, well. How stupid of us to actually believe what we are being taught in the one true church by the last apostle. Silly us. That was a downright cold-hearted response given by my minister. Just buck up, kids, and press on! What a disservice to folks. Just uncaring.

 

I became very disillusioned in the spring of 2020. Unknown to anyone else (unless they now read this), I stopped listening to Pack's unending series of confusion as he quit giving them on the Sabbath. A pet verse of the COGs is 1 Corinthians 14:33. Hmmm. God is not the author of confusion or disorder. Okay, the series changed from one part to another. Pack is an apostle. This is the true church, but we are drowning in confusion. Who is the author, then? BECAUSE IT'S CONFUSING! I don't say it's the devil or demons, and I won't go there. I believe it's his own delusional mind. DCP is the author of confusion in this ridiculous sermon series.

 

Then, I would catch up on the series after about ten or so to listen while not believing. This happened a couple of times, then I just completely stopped in the summer of 2020. I gave up. He became obsessed with date-setting. Still is, I see.

 

I wanted to leave. There is no way…no way that God is leading this man. This is what I thought then. I was troubled because I couldn't understand (and still don't) how God allowed this person to remain in power. And cause His children to go astray, quit Christianity, become an atheist, go into Churchianity, etc. Where is the love? It befuddles me. How many tests must one endure? With all the date failures, when is enough? Perhaps it is a cult, after all. I didn't want to go to the Feast in 2020. I was sick of being in the church by then. But couldn't leave as I was already booked for the housing and would lose money, and I had five others with me in our rented accommodations. 

 

Someone in the house turned me in because of my attitude toward Pack. I had soured so badly I could not hide it. He saw it and told our minister. I don't blame him. He did the right thing. No one wants divisiveness in their organization. So, I got suspended for three weeks after the Feast for speaking against Pack.

 

I got COVID in Missouri, as well. Thankfully, I was recovering toward the time to leave. So much for God's protection that Pack stated we wouldn't get it. During my suspension, I did feel cut off from the group, I wanted to do what was right, so I self-corrected and was brought back. But it didn't last.

 

The date setting continued. There would be announcements in Member Services, “Everything is still on track. Keep watching.” This meant keep watching Pack fail. I had counted over twenty times from March 2019 to when I left. I quit song-leading, being a host, giving opening and closing prayers, and reading announcements. I was sick of RCG. I just couldn't do it anymore and believed my punishment should have consequences. Then, I gave up taking notes in the long, boring sermons being given weekly. I wanted out. But I couldn't decide on when. Eventually, I had enough when we heard that DCP was giving another part, which would be posted after Sabbath. The next day, I sent in my resignation letter. This was December 2020.

 

 

December 20, 2020

 

Mr. [Minister],

 

I hereby resign my membership in The Restored Church of God, Inc., effective immediately. 

 

John Wilson

 

 

I felt the pain of separation. After all, it was a break-up. However, I know I made the correct decision. Just look at the mess RCG is still in nearly two years after I left. Incredible. People still listen to him despite all the date failures. I suppose I can't be too hard on them. I stayed for a while, too.

 

Good riddance to that false prophet. He is officially worse than Gerald Flurry, Ronald Weinland, and Bob Thiel. Interestingly, Thiel believes Pack, Flurry, and Weinland aren't converted. And that Pack always has coveted money. People can read it for themselves on his website.

 

Deuteronomy 18:22 and Jeremiah 14:14 are applied to these false prophets that have arisen. Just because Pack states he isn't a prophet but explains them doesn't mean he isn't one. Why set dates, then? Once was enough to be discredited. Why not apologize and never do it again?

 

To those still in RCG and are confused emotionally and mentally and are reading this not knowing what to do: the common refrain is "...but there's nowhere else to go." Yes, there is! Get away from Pack, now! Don't believe that the other groups (except PCG, COG-PKG, CCOG) aren't true if you want to stay in the Churches of God organization. Get the mold of RCG out of your heads. Lose the narrative they inculcate you with. Do you honestly think that the only true Christians on the whole globe are only…only in RCG? Do you? Nonsense. (I am speaking of Church of God groups.) Go to one who isn't so obsessed with prophecy. You'll be fine. Don't be afraid of counseling with a professional, either. There is nothing wrong with psychology.

 

For me, The Restored Church of God started as the church but turned into a cult. Authoritarian, obsessed with news and prophecy, led by a narcissistic false prophet.

 

Nearly two years out, I'm better off than in it. I gave Common more than once. But, I gave it to God. Not to RCG or Pack.

 

Regardless of what one does regarding one's beliefs, stay with the Armstrong groups. Stay home. Or go to a Sunday church. Go to another religion. The point is that you'll recover and be fine.

 

Ask yourself: Who is in control of your salvation? God, David Pack, or any other physical church?

 

Does God HAVE to work through RCG only? Are you limiting God to RCG?

 

There is life and sunshine outside of a shriveling little cult in eastern Ohio.

 

 

In accordance with Romans 16:17, which is for brethren to do, I mark David Crowl Pack for causing division and offences, as Paul stated, in the body of Christ and Church of God. He is to be avoided at all costs for lying, coveting, and promoting brethren to leave fellowshipping with God and Jesus.

See: To My Regret, But RCG's Shame


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got out! The COG is such a weird and insular world. A world of pure imagination without the chocolate of course. Plenty of oompah loompahs at the pulpit and songs well past their expiration point.

Anonymous said...

I so much enjoy these stories of people finding freedom outside the church.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Why do you people believe everything you read on this site??You are fish with a cog hook in your mouth. You are obsessed with it, dumb sheep who believe anything you read, or anything others tell you. They will reel the fish in to get you to join another COG and you will join the one that you "KNOW" is the "true church", yet it will be just as deceptive as any other Father Armstrong "church of god", or site. Even this one tells you what they want you to hear, only about the minor "profits". Beware!

Anonymous said...

“I don't say it's the devil or demons, and I won't go there.” -- JW


Well, okay, you wimpy unbeliever.

But I do say it and I will go there.

Satan and the demons have really used their second-favorite (after Gerald Flurry) false prophet klepto-Dave Pack-of-lies to harm thousands of people and make the so-called Church of God religion look like it is full of some of the stupidest people around who fall for nothing but evil continually.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this article was adjusted to please/comfort a Minister's wife, while in all the years She had no say to the suffering of the hurting "flock". The "Ministers" and wives are all cold hearted following a Man living in adultery, who seeks to please only himself. They all watch Pack the Man of transgressions, fully loaded with dung (see nothing, hear nothing, say nothing). Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;). Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. There is none good! If the Ministers have no say while attending to the Pack of lies, you are an accomplice/collaborator in his schemes. I was so disgusted with the comments made for the public to see the fully deceived CULT! I'm disappointed with Marc, having fixed the words which were very hard to put on paper by the sufferer. No one is going to want to write now, since you aim to please. You can never please all People. Someone is going to be left hurting, and in this case the original writer. BTW, avoiding social media is not what a Minister does in this modern world. It's better than going door to door preaching and teaching His statutes and way of living. Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.. Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.