Over on the All About Armstrongism Blog he has up all of the expected tithes and offerings that the Worldwide Church of God expected/demanded from members. Do you realize that if you had participated 100% in Armstrong's expectation that you would have given the Church 76% of your income?
Flurry, Meredith and the others carry on this same obscene tradition today. The worst offender is Dave Pack who expects members to turn over all retirement programs, mortgage homes and businesses and give every last penny you have to him.
Here is what was expected of true followers:
- First tithe – which was 10% of gross income.
- Second tithe – which was another 10% of gross income.
- Third tithe – which was another 10% of gross income.
- Regular Offerings 3% of gross income
- Holy Day offerings. 4% of gross income.
- Emergency Fund – No percentage given.
- Fourth Year Fruit From Trees (I remember my mother doing this)
- First-fruits – estimate the value and give the money to headquarters
- Firstborn male of cattle (I know farmers who did this)
- Firstborn child – buy back with an offering to headquarters.
- Building fund expectations were 4% of gross income
- Tithe of Tithe expectations were 10% of gross income
- Loans to the work were also expected of members (I remember when the receivership happened and Tkach and Webber stood up in the Hall of Ad and told members to mortgage their homes and businesses to help stop Satan)
- Gifts to the Church
- Special Emergency gifts when the Work was in trouble were also expected of members
- Also mentioned were library funds, recreational funds, spokesman club dues, and social funds.
Check out his entire article at the link above for much more detail on what we were conned out off. These percentages and giving opportunities were from John Pruner's sermon.
All of this to fund a work that was embarrassed to talk about Jesus or God. What impact did HWA have traveling the world talking about a "strong hand from someplace?"