Monday, January 4, 2021

The Holy Child Who Resides In The PCG


In the Church of God history, there have been few sons of leaders that ever made their father proud and where they became second in command in their father's work.  Garner Ted did for a while till he couldn't keep his pants zipped and then turned on his father. Rod Meredith's boys (from both marriages) have been absolute failures when it comes to morality and leadership skills and were so bad Meredith had to bring in Gerald Weston. Dave Pack's boys left the church their father started. Joseph Tkach's son went on to lead the Worldwide Church of God into a new version of the church that no one ever imagined.

This brings us to Stephen Flurry, the most holy child of Gerald Flurry. A man/boy so significant that PCG youth are told the amazing story on how Lil Stevie read Malachi's Message and the heavens opened up for him and his mind was opened to the truth. To this day, Herbert W Armstrong College takes its students and church youth to Robbers Cave where they commemorate this historically spiritual event. They even gaze in awe at the cabin Lil'Stevie stayed in during that glorious time when the angels in heaven rejoiced at the lost child returning to the father.

As God was revealing Malachi’s Message, my children were at Ambassador College in Pasadena, California—my daughter, Laura, in her senior year; my son, Stephen, in his freshman year. That was where I felt they could get the best education on this Earth. But I became increasingly uneasy as I detected the wrong direction the leaders were taking God’s Church. Both of them were alerted to problems in the Church. I convinced Stephen to continue his education at the Ambassador campus at Big Sandy, Texas, closer to where I was in Oklahoma. 
 
That summer, on his way to Big Sandy, my son visited us in Oklahoma. I picked him up at the airport and took him immediately to our July 14 weekend church campout at Robber’s Cave, Okla. (My son was keeping a diary at the time, and recorded these events.) It was a tense weekend, because I had a rough draft of Malachi’s Message with me that I had decided to share with my son. When I gave it to him on that Sabbath, he was the first to see it, and I was very concerned about how he would respond. 
 
Some others in the Church were already suspicious about what I was doing. Stephen was also slightly unsure of where I was spiritually and didn’t read my manuscript immediately (on July 15)—he didn’t want to be accused of blindly following his dad. 
 
We need to remember that Mr. Armstrong had provided strong leadership in the Church for 57 years. We were usually suspicious of anybody who spoke against Church headquarters—that includes me! Anybody who left the Church in that period was considered to be rebelling against God. Also, Stephen’s teachers at Ambassador College had been teaching against “heretics.” 
 
So I waited in vain, and rather tensely, on that Sabbath day for my son to read Malachi’s Message.
Finally, my son read the rough draft of Malachi’s Message on Sunday, July 16, 1989—exactly 3½ years after Mr. Armstrong died! My son was positive in what he said, but he didn’t say much. I could tell he had been sobered by what he read. The sanctuary had already been cleansed, but it took a few months before that rain began to reach beyond the altar, or ministry.

For me to give Malachi’s Message to my son placed a heavy responsibility on him. I knew this was going to be a test for my son. When something like that happens, we have to make the right decision! Clearly, the way God viewed it, that was a far more significant moment than it would have appeared. 
 
Young people, realize: My son really wrestled with that choice—as probably any unbaptized person would have. He loved college, yet here was his dad doing something that many members dismissed as rank rebellion! God made him choose—just as He makes each of us choose. It would have been so easy to turn away from God at that point and to miss all the blessings. But if we make the right choice, God can accomplish tremendous things in our lives! We must always strive to get ourselves out of the way and let God lead us.  

In the summer of 1992, three years after my son made that choice, I received the understanding that Malachi’s Message was actually the “little book” spoken of in the 10th chapter of Revelation. (This truth is explained in our free booklet The Little Book.) I first delivered this revelation at our Philadelphia Youth Camp that summer. That is the only time I have given new revelation to a group of unbaptized young people. I didn’t make that choice, God did!  Gerad Flurry: Robbers Cave And New Revelation

As I mentioned above, students go to Robbers Cave every year to commemorate this historical event. 

Robbers Cave in Wilburton, Oklahoma (Grant Turgeon) 
 
Robbers Cave can provide any number of things for Herbert W. Armstrong College students: a much-needed rest from the rigors of college life, a respite from the bustle of our interconnected society, time for reflection on the site’s integral role in the Philadelphia Church of God’s history, appreciation for creation, strong bonds within the college family, an improved relationship with God, or a life-turning point. Never mind the lack of heating, “actual beds,” or pleasant shower conditions, as some might point out. What's it like at 'Robbers Cave'

In England/Scotland they have "Robbers Cave Sunday"

‘Robbers Cave’ in Galloway, Scotland (Paris Turgeon) 
 
We got back from ‘Robbers Cave’ Sunday evening. It’s odd calling it that because comparatively, it was nothing like our usual Oklahoma Robbers Cave experience. I could go into detail about how we had heat and actual beds, and that I didn’t have to wear flip-flops in the shower, etc., but that seems unfair. I will just say that it was a different experience—a wonderful, beautiful, mesmerizing experience.

Idolatry is nothing new in the Philadelphia Church of God, but the absurdity of this is hilarious. It would be like Bob Thiel having a Feast site in Arroyo Grande where everyone comes to his home and stares at the holy place he has his dreams and thumps his big fat bible. The sad thing is that there are enough stupid people in his church that would do that.

EDMOND—“So what do you think?” the minister asked when his son paused while reading the manuscript. “Well, that definitely will get you fired,” his son responded.” It was July 1989, and the young 19-year-old was on a Y.E.S. camping trip with his father at Robbers Cave in southeastern Oklahoma during the summer break. But this turned out to be more than your everyday summer camping excursion. It became a pivotal moment in the history of God’s Church and marked Robbers Cave State Park as an important historical location for the Philadelphia Church of God.

Right there, in that cabin at Robbers Cave Campsite Number One, the revelation in Malachi’s Message was being shared for the first time. After the death of Mr. Armstrong, the Worldwide Church of God was being torn apart; yet off in remote rural Oklahoma, the first person besides Mr. Gerald Flurry was learning God’s revelation about what was really happening.

“I think I still have the first manuscript I received after we printed the first 1,000 [copies of Malachi’s Message ],” Mr. Stephen Flurry said. “But as for that stack of typewritten papers he handed me that weekend at Robbers Cave, I’m not sure where those ended up.”

“Its content certainly rang true,” he wrote in Raising the Ruins, “it was inspiring in fact—but I couldn’t yet commit to accepting the material without first digging into Mr. Armstrong’s foundational teachings. [My dad] agreed the content would undoubtedly get him fired. But believing it was from God, he fully intended to deliver the message to church leaders in Pasadena.”

The manuscript indeed got then-Preaching Elder Gerald Flurry fired on Dec. 7, 1989. The Philadelphia Church of God was raised up less than five months after Malachi’s Message was first delivered to his son at that wooded campsite. Because of this history-shaping event, Robbers Cave has become a significant landmark for the pcg. Herbert W. Armstrong College has retreated to the campsite almost every year since 2002, and Mr. Stephen Flurry has never missed a campout.

Every year, he returns to the campsite with his family and dozens of others whose lives were also changed by that book he was the first to read nearly 25 years ago: Malachi’s Message.
A Significant Hisotoric Landmark

All of this is made even more pathetic considering Gerald Flurry stole the entire book from Jules Dervaes who was widely distributing it in Pasadena in 1986.  See: The Letter to Laodicea

Just like everyone else in Armstrongism, new and upcoming COG leaders do not have an original concept in their heads and have to plagiarize or rewrite other's booklets and articles. Gerald Flurry is particularly crafty in this.

PCG worships a stupid book that they say has a rightful place next to the Bible, alongside Mystery of the ages. PCG, like most other COG's place their emphasis upon the holy words of their prophets and apostles and shove Jesus onto the back burner where he stays until Passover each year when they reluctantly drag him out so they can crucify him over and over year after year. Then, as soon as Passover is over, he goes back into the closet in the local Masonic Lodge or some school gym, where he remains hidden till the following year where he is seldom ever mentioned again. 

Every day we wake up the COG sinks further into madeness.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do he and Wayne Turgeon get along well with each other, or will there be a church split after That Profit finally dies?

Anonymous said...

PCG worships a stupid book that they say has a rightful place next to the Bible, alongside Mystery of the ages.

If MOA and MM are holy books given by God, how is it that Stevie and his father have been so presumptuous as to revise and remove content from those books?

Anonymous said...

...Bob Thiel having a Feast site in Arroyo Grande where everyone comes to his home and stares at the holy place...

After his demise, followers will fight for the curtains. Some will put pieces of them on display, and others will believe they are the equivalent of anointed cloths.

Tonto said...

"Robbers Cave"... the perfect name for a Flurry epiphany!

DennisCDiehl said...

Poor kid, Never spent a full day in the real world up to this point.

Anonymous said...

Foundational to the substance of this view is the historical-prophetic interpretation of Revelation 2 and 3. This hermeneutic is a particular difficulty for the literalist interpretation of the Bible. In other words, people who insist on a grimly literal interpretation of Paul will get paradoxically rapturous and glassy-eyed over various idiosyncratic, free-form interpretations of Revelation. Oddly, the Holy Spirit embeds instruction in Rev 2 and 3 on how these passages are to be interpreted and it does not include transposing them into a chart of chronological eras. But that is my opinion. Let us sweep it aside. Maybe I am being too literalist for the literalists.

The question I would pose to adherents of this view as explained in the post is a simple one:

"Why would God bestow a vital message for the church in its mission to the world on a small denomination-centric sect with limited credibility that does not even value outreach?"

Some issues can be assessed by parsing the data finely, others by looking at its fit in the larger picture. This is a case of the latter. Before any other debate ensues, the appropriate apologists in Splinterdom need to answer that question.

******* Click on my icon to view my Disclaimer

nck said...

Dennis
That us an interesting observation. I had not looked at it that way.

On another thread some 5 postings of mine got deleted that dealt with my interactions with COG leaders and commenters started cursing me although I made clear I am a complete outsider regarding theology.

Your comment put into perspective for me, that the way I am welcomed indeed often resembles how people would receive a space traveller or someone from another dimension, with curious awe and affection and a sense of danger that I might be carrying an infectious disease able to destroy them all if I'm scratched or in any way annoyed or troubled by their behavior.

Interesting.

Nck

Anonymous said...

Poor kid, Never spent a full day in the real world up to this point.

Actually, little Stevie spent at least one summer working at a photocopying shop.

Perhaps he used his position to print the first run of Malachi's Message at deep discount employee pricing?

Anonymous said...

Well Nck, maybe if you stayed on topic and stopped trying to be all knowing thinking you are impressing us, it might help.

Anonymous said...

Oh stop sulking Nck.. After all, you are our pet oracle!

We love you and your comments.

Anonymous said...

I can see why The Painful Truth banned Nck from commenting.

nck said...

I am all knowing, not even trying to impress you. Anonymi are like nothing to me, irrelevant.

Nck

Anonymous said...

If we are irrelevant why do you keep whining?

nck said...

Good question 10:51

I have answered several times that most of my detractors here are illiterate and on top of that assume I am like them, that causes their confused minds to post nonsense.

Read again.

I was just stating a fact, I never whine or complain on Banned. It's projection by loosers that causes misunderstanding.

Nck

Anonymous said...

touche!

Anonymous said...

Speak for yourself Anon 10:21.

Anonymous said...

Peasants be grateful to be able to read nck's utterances.

Now be gone from nck's presence.

nck said...

Hey guys isn't it just the ironiest of ironies that G Flurry continues to put forward the thesis that PRESIDENT Trump will evict PCG from the United States, whilst in reality and true fact Trump has been PCG's biggest single sponsor for the year 2020, through the Covid support program paying salary for the ministers? And I am not even speaking of the millions of dollars worth of fake narrative that Trump has been providing PCG with for free, to dissiminate through their media and rake in the millions. Oh wait they are of course all connected through and part of the unseen hand of conservative political networking fora, no mystery there.

nck

Anonymous said...

"That summer, on his way to Big Sandy, my son visited us in Oklahoma. I picked him up at the airport and took him immediately to our July 14 weekend church campout at Robber’s Cave, Okla. (My son was keeping a diary at the time, and recorded these events.) It was a tense weekend, because I had a rough draft of Malachi’s Message with me that I had decided to share with my son. When I gave it to him on that Sabbath, he was the first to see it, and I was very concerned about how he would respond."

And then this..

"Finally, my son read the rough draft of Malachi’s Message on Sunday, July 16, 1989—exactly 3½ years after Mr. Armstrong died!"

You know, I find it kind of humorous that he mentions Stephen keeping a diary...and not because of a guy "keeping a diary"...but to reassure the members that he knows when these dates are..after all, the dates do have to line up with "prophecy".

And he says Stephen "was the first to see it"?

Also interesting is that John Amos is no where mentioned in this article??

It really is hard to cover your tracks when you get caught lying...especially when your lying is in print..it must get exhausting!

-to be continued-



Anonymous said...


“The Holy Child Who Resides In The PCG”


PCG members are expected to treat the PCG leaders like gods and worship them.

PCG leaders treat the PCG members like dirt and walk all over them.

Anonymous said...

Holy child? Holy crap!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they should tell people about the 5 college kids that were caught having sex at robbers cave a few years ago. I believe they were all minister’s kids too.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they should tell people about the 5 college kids that were caught having sex at robbers cave a few years ago

Five? Either there's a tale-teller who's bad at math, or they caught at least one of the kids masturbating?

Anonymous said...

There has been sex going on at Robbers Cave for years, most of it involving ministers sons and a couple horny daughters. It is way more than 5 of them. Way more!

Anonymous said...

I am not a minister's son, but I will admit that I lost my virginity at Robbers Cave about 16 years ago. There is a lot of sex going on on the PCG campus too, both gay and straight. I am long gone from the sick cult of the Flurry's. They can all rot in hell as far as I am concerned!

Anonymous said...

SF has a new story on the Trumpet where he reiterates his father's article that Trump is still gonna win and expose the evil democrats and the stolen election for all the world to see. He mentions January 16 so he seems to imply it may happen on January 16 that Trump will expose it all and remain President.

nck said...

The man doesn't understand basic concepts. He shouldn't be teaching.

He doesn't understand the difference when I hit a woman on the chest because she is choking in a piece of meat or domestic violence.

In the same manner as the example above he doesn't understand the difference between leftist street mobs and insurection.

Even the facts in the article are wrong.

As if a young lady was shot because she tried to climb a window, while as a matter of fact she was about to breach the hallowed hall of the representatives of the People, sovereign and free.

PCG liars and dumber than the behind of jackals.

Nck

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Maybe they should tell people about the 5 college kids that were caught having sex at robbers cave a few years ago

I was in the church at the time. It was to be kept from members but when we got the sermon to stop using social media then the rumours spread. I knew of one very talented young lady, beautiful voice who was suspended as she had engaged with a guy at Robber’s cave among that group.